Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Pouliot, Scott" <Sc...@peoplefluent.com> on 2017/04/12 20:05:52 UTC

Solr 6.2 - Creating cores via replication from master?

Is it possible to create a core on a master SOLR server and have it automatically replicated to a new slave core?  We're running SOLR 6.2 at the moment, and manually creating the core on the master, and then the slave.  Once we feed the master we're good to go. My manager approached me with a change to our setup, and in order to facilitate it....I need to somehow get the core replicated automatically from master to slave at creation time....without manually calling create core on the slave.

Is this even possible?  I know that the master knows absolutely nothing about it's slaves out of the box...and I have yet to find any documentation that tells me otherwise, but figured I'd hit up you experts out here before I called this a wash.

RE: Solr 6.2 - Creating cores via replication from master?

Posted by "Pouliot, Scott" <Sc...@peoplefluent.com>.
Yeah...I need to get SOLR Cloud up and running.  For some reason, I have yet to succeed with it using an external Zookeeper for some reason.  Ugghhh

Thanks for the confirmation!

On 4/12/2017 2:05 PM, Pouliot, Scott wrote:
> Is it possible to create a core on a master SOLR server and have it automatically replicated to a new slave core?  We're running SOLR 6.2 at the moment, and manually creating the core on the master, and then the slave.  Once we feed the master we're good to go. My manager approached me with a change to our setup, and in order to facilitate it....I need to somehow get the core replicated automatically from master to slave at creation time....without manually calling create core on the slave.
>
> Is this even possible?  I know that the master knows absolutely nothing about it's slaves out of the box...and I have yet to find any documentation that tells me otherwise, but figured I'd hit up you experts out here before I called this a wash.

No, that is not possible.

This is one of the big advantages of SolrCloud over the old master-slave replication.  If you create a new collection and tell it that you want a replicationFactor of 3, then 3 copies of that collection will exist on different machines in the cloud.  There are no masters and no slaves -- one of those replicas will be elected as the leader.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr 6.2 - Creating cores via replication from master?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.