Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com> on 2011/09/28 21:40:52 UTC

Trouble configuring multicore / accessing admin page

Hello,

I am trying to get SOLR working with multiple cores and have a problem accessing the admin page once I configure multiple cores.

Problem:
When accessing the admin page via http://solrhost:8080/solr/admin, I get a 404, "missing core name in path".

Question:  when using the multicore option, is the standard admin page still available?

Environment:
- solr 1.4.1
- Windows server 2008 R2
- Java SE 1.6u27
- Tomcat 6.0.33
- Solr Experience:  none

I have set -Dsolr.solr.home=c:\solr and within that I have a solr.xml with the following contents:

<solr persistent="true" sharedLib="lib">
  <cores adminPath="/admij/cores">
    <core name="core0" instanceDir="cores/core0" />
    <core name="core1" instanceDir="cores/core1" />
  </cores>
</solr>

I have copied the example/solr directory to c:\solr and have populated that directory with the cores/{core{0,1}} as well as the proper configs and data directories within.

When I restart tomcat, it shows a couple of exceptions related to queryElevationComponent and null pointers that I think are due to the DB not yet being available but I see that the cores appear to initialize properly other than that

So the problem I'm looking to solve/clarify here is the admin page - should that remain available and usable when using the multicore configuration or am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to use the CoreAdminHandler type requests to manage multicore instead?

Josh Miller
Open Source Solutions Architect
(425) 737-2590
http://itsecureadmin.com/

Re: Trouble configuring multicore / accessing admin page

Posted by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com>.
On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Rahul Warawdekar wrote:

> Can you try updating your solr.xml as follows:
> Specify
> "<core name="core0" instanceDir="/core0" />" instead of
> "<core name="core0" instanceDir="cores/core0" />"
>
> Basically remove the extra text "cores" in the core element from the
> instanceDir attribute.

I gave that a try and it didn't change anything.

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Trouble configuring multicore / accessing admin page

Posted by Rahul Warawdekar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joshua,

Can you try updating your solr.xml as follows:
Specify
"<core name="core0" instanceDir="/core0" />" instead of
"<core name="core0" instanceDir="cores/core0" />"

Basically remove the extra text "cores" in the core element from the
instanceDir attribute.

Just try and let us know if it works.

--
Thanks and Regards
Rahul A. Warawdekar

Re: Trouble configuring multicore / accessing admin page

Posted by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com>.
On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Joshua Miller wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:11 PM, Jaeger, Jay - DOT wrote:
>
>> 	cores adminPath="/admij/cores"
>>
>> Was that a cut and paste?  If so, the /admij/cores is presumably incorrect, and ought to be /admin/cores
>>

> No, that was a typo -- the config file is correct with admin/cores.  Thanks for pointing out the mistake here.

I was finally able to figure out the issue here.  It was the solr.QueryElevationComponent exception in the logs.  Once I commented out the related section in each core conf/solrconfig.xml file and restarted tomcat, I could then see the admin page link for each core and click through to manage them.

Thanks!

Posted by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com>.

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 9/28/2011 2:24 PM, Robert Petersen wrote:
> Just go to localhost:8983 (or whatever other port you are using) and use
> this path to see all the cores available on the box:
>
> In your example this should give you a core list:
>
> http://solrhost:8080/solr/

Now this is interesting.

If I have defaultCoreName in my solr.xml (on 3.4.0), the /solr URL only
shows one admin link, which takes me to the /solr/admin/ page for my
default core.  On that page, I do have links to all the other core admin
pages, as usual.

If I don't have defaultCoreName, /solr shows admin links for all defined
cores.

A quick search didn't turn up any Jira issues for this.  Is this
intended behavior?

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Trouble configuring multicore / accessing admin page

Posted by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com>.
On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:24 PM, Robert Petersen wrote:

> Just go to localhost:8983 (or whatever other port you are using) and use
> this path to see all the cores available on the box:
>
> In your example this should give you a core list:
>
> http://solrhost:8080/solr/

I see  "Welcome to Solr!" and "Solr Admin" below that as a link.  When I click through the link, I get the 404 error, "missing core name in path".

Posted by Joshua Miller <jo...@itsecureadmin.com>.

…

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.