Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2005/02/15 18:12:24 UTC

Struts-EL missing from nightlies (was Re: Recalibrate Roadmap)

From: "Joe Germuska" <Jo...@Germuska.com>

> The simplest thing that *anyone* can do would be to start trying to
> plug the nightly build into applications

I tried out the 20050215 nightly build, but the Struts-EL .jar files aren't
there.  Can they be included?

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Struts-EL missing from nightlies (was Re: Recalibrate Roadmap)

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 10:07 AM -0800 2/15/05, Craig McClanahan wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:12:24 -0700, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
>>  From: "Joe Germuska" <Jo...@Germuska.com>
>>
>>  > The simplest thing that *anyone* can do would be to start trying to
>>  > plug the nightly build into applications
>>
>>  I tried out the 20050215 nightly build, but the Struts-EL .jar files aren't
>>  there.  Can they be included?
>>

>Joe et. al.,
>
>The nightly build script for Struts is totally customized (unlike the
>ones for commons packages), so let me know what target(s) to run in
>what directories, and what files to upload.  If we're moving towards
>separately releaseable artifacts, we should probably mirror that
>structure in the nightly builds.

I haven't been very involved in the reorganizations, except as a
user, so I would want to get some other voices in here.

I've been using Maven to get JARs to use for my testing.  I hadn't
yet tried to build el, so I just now added the maven.xml file which
causes Maven to get the TLD files in the JAR.

It appears that the "maven dist:deploy-snapshot" goal works more or
less as expected to both create and deploy binary and source tarballs
and ZIP files to
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/struts/distributions (I
deleted the ones my test produced)

If no one prefers ANT builds, I could spend a bit more time looking
at that process and specifying how to configure an environment so
that the script would be something like this:

cd core/trunk
maven jar:deploy-snapshot
maven dist:deploy-snapshot
cd ../../taglib/trunk
maven jar:deploy-snapshot
maven dist:deploy-snapshot
cd ../../el/trunk
maven jar:deploy-snapshot
maven dist:deploy-snapshot
cd ../../tiles/trunk
maven jar:deploy-snapshot
maven dist:deploy-snapshot

If we did that, we'd want to have the nightly build process override
the version dependency to "SNAPSHOT" (which I prefer leaving out of
the normal project.xml to avoid the check-for-newer-every-time hit),
and we'd need to change the directory to which we link for
downloading nightlies; but otherwise, it seems very straightforward.

If anyone else wants to work on this more, I'm not flush with spare
time for it this week, but if no one else can, I can pursue.  I'd
rather not get into figuring out nightlies with ANT, but don't object
if someone else wants to do that before we get it working with Maven.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: Struts-EL missing from nightlies (was Re: Recalibrate Roadmap)

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:12:24 -0700, Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote:
> From: "Joe Germuska" <Jo...@Germuska.com>
>
> > The simplest thing that *anyone* can do would be to start trying to
> > plug the nightly build into applications
>
> I tried out the 20050215 nightly build, but the Struts-EL .jar files aren't
> there.  Can they be included?

Joe et. al.,

The nightly build script for Struts is totally customized (unlike the
ones for commons packages), so let me know what target(s) to run in
what directories, and what files to upload.  If we're moving towards
separately releaseable artifacts, we should probably mirror that
structure in the nightly builds.

Craig