Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2003/08/21 18:54:34 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 6820 - trunk/notes

sussman@tigris.org writes:

> Author: sussman
> Date: Thu Aug 21 13:51:20 2003
> New Revision: 6820
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO
> Log:
> Rewrite the repo_upgrade_HOWTO for the upcoming 0.28 release.

So if unsuspecting people are hit by the fs schema change, just point
them to this one document.  You can give them a URL to it, right in
the HEAD of trunk:

  http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

I guess the svn 0.28 release announcement should also reference this URL.

Re: svn commit: rev 6820 - trunk/notes

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.
On 21 Aug 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Yes, you're missing something.  There are only two ways to get what
> you want, and they both result in Bad Things:

>       - or -
>
>    2.  Store the contracted keyword in the repository, and make the
>        repository translate the entire file (expand keywords) whenever
>        it responds to an http GET request.  But now you've just made
>        the server do a whole lot more work, slowed it down, etc.

I see, thanks for clarification.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach                 jaa@iki.fi             +1-303-413 1047

Re: svn commit: rev 6820 - trunk/notes

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi> writes:

> On 21 Aug 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>

> > Remember that the repository stores keywords *contracted*.  Only an
> > svn client understands how to expand a keyword.
> >

> Ah, but I would argue that web-client is a svn-client, if we are showing
> something with it. I expect that what I see with web-client is exactly
> what is in my working copy after checkout.
>
> If I am missing something, just slam me with ViewCVS thread.

Yes, you're missing something.  There are only two ways to get what
you want, and they both result in Bad Things:

   1.  Store the expanded keyword in the repository.  But now you get
       "false diffs" whenever you compare two versions of the same
       file.  It *always* looks like the keyword line changes, even
       when humans don't change it.

      - or -

   2.  Store the contracted keyword in the repository, and make the
       repository translate the entire file (expand keywords) whenever
       it responds to an http GET request.  But now you've just made
       the server do a whole lot more work, slowed it down, etc.  It's
       not just reading database information anymore.  One of our main
       design principles is to *distribute* work to clients whenever
       possible.

Re: svn commit: rev 6820 - trunk/notes

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi> writes:

> On 21 Aug 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
> >   http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO
> >

> A wild guess:
>
> Do you like set svn:keyword on for this?

Of course.  This isn't a new file; the svn:keyword property has been
set on this file for nearly a year.

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@cc.jyu.fi>.
On 21 Aug 2003, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>   http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

A wild guess:

Do you like set svn:keyword on for this?

---8<---
HOW-TO:  svn repository upgrade procedure
 $LastChangedDate$
---8<---

(Sorry, can't check anything, haven't svn clien at hand...)

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach