Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Sudip Shekhawat <su...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/06 20:03:55 UTC

Performance boost

I have been looking for ways to increase the performance of James. Since
James on our server uses a relational database to check on rules for
processing a mail, I have thought of using an In-memory Database (IMDB).
This IMDB would be hosted with James on the same server and would have two
advantages,

   1) The queries would not have to travel across the wire.
   2) Since the whole DB would be in memory it would fasten up the system.

I would like to know if anyone has tried this before. I am looking at some
commercial IMDB and I would appreciate if I can get some options on
available IMDBs. I have searched and found that QuiLogic’s IMDB works great,
but according to their documentation it doesn’t have a Java interface.

Sudip

Re: Performance boost

Posted by Michael Nestler <mn...@whoglue.com>.
Actually the Prevayler is out of VM and part of a Web application that
allows the configuration of the accounts, domains, and forwarding
addresses. I have a mailet that communicates through a socket with a
very simple server in the other VM. If I wouldn't have the Web
application and the Prevayler would be in-VM then I would probably have
done what you suggest.

Michael

RE: Performance boost

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Performance boost

Posted by Michael Nestler <mn...@whoglue.com>.
I am using Prevayler (http://www.prevayler.org) in order to translate
recipient addresses to forwarding addresses. It works very well, is very
reliable, and is several thousand times faster than a relational DBMS.

"Ridiculously simple, Prevalence is by far the fastest and most
transparent persistence, fault-tolerance and load-balancing architecture
for Plain Old Java Objects (POJOs)." (www.preavayler.org)

Michael

RE: Performance boost

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I have thought of using an In-memory Database (IMDB).  This
> IMDB would be hosted with James on the same server and would
> have two advantages

Have you considered using hsql (http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/) or Axion?

	--- Noel