Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com> on 2008/04/24 21:16:53 UTC

Distributed Search Caching

hey,
I have a distributed search environment with one server hitting 3 shards.
for Example:
http://server1.cs.tmcs:15100/solr/search/?q=starbucks&shards=server1.cs.tmcs:8983/solr,server2.cs.tmcs:8983/solr,server3.cs.tmcs:8983/solr&collapse.field=locChainId
So, where is the cache stored? Is is distributed on the 3 servers or is it
on server1.cs.tmcs:15100?

Re: Distributed Search Caching

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM, swarag <Sw...@citysearch.com> wrote:

>  hey,
>  I have a distributed search environment with one server hitting 3 shards.
>  for Example:
>  http://server1.cs.tmcs:15100/solr/search/?q=starbucks&shards=server1.cs.tmcs:8983/solr,server2.cs.tmcs:8983/solr,server3.cs.tmcs:8983/solr&collapse.field=locChainId
>  So, where is the cache stored? Is is distributed on the 3 servers or is it
>  on server1.cs.tmcs:15100?

It's distributed.
You don't really need server1.cs.tmcs:15100 (assuming it's a real
server) since it doesn't maintain any state... you can set "shards" as
a default parameter in a custom request handler on all 3 shards, then
query any of them to distribute the load.

-Yonik