Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Brent Clark <bc...@tendrilinc.com> on 2014/11/11 20:31:50 UTC

Host with running VMs question.

Howdy everyone,

Story:
Host with all its VMs on local storage had its OS mirrored disk die and
cause some problems with the running cloudstack-agent and corruption. I
uninstalled/reinstalled the agent and that caused the cloudstack-manger to
freak out and be in a state that I couldn't disconnect it or use it. So I
used cloud monkey to force a host deletion.

The VMs running on that host are still running and fine. The
cloudstack-manger shows them in destroyed state. And the host is no longer
showing in the WebUI.

Q> If I add the host back in to the cluster, and since the VMs were all
created by CloudStack when the host was working, can I add the host back
and have it find the VMs and take them out of destroyed state? If not, what
will happen to the working/running VMs if I add the host back?

Thanks!

--
Brent S. Clark
Senior Cloud & Infrastructure Systems Engineer

2580 55th St.  |  Boulder, Colorado 80301
www.tendrilinc.com  |  blog <http://www.tendrilinc.com/news-room/blog/>
<http://www.tendrilinc.com/>

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses.
The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Re: Host with running VMs question.

Posted by Gopalakrishnan S <go...@assistanz.com>.
Hi Clark,

You cannot remove host while running VMs on your cloudstack. I am not sure
what you had done to reinstall cloudstack-agent and cloudstack database. If
you had local storage disk corruption then it will affect all your running
VMs ROOT disks and DATA disks.

If you will re add the host forcefully then stilll VMs will show destroyed
state again. You can manually change VMs state on database itself.

Thank You.
GopalaKrishnan S
Cloud Consultant - Fogpanel