Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2008/11/29 20:23:46 UTC

M3: Restrict artifact groupId to TLD only?

Team,

What do you think of M3 dealing, by default, only with artifacts whose
groupId matches valid TLD? One problem in the current M2 repo is that
unimaginable places that sometimes artifacts reside in... especially
when things relocate it can become quite cumbersome to navigate
manually.

I'd like to recommend this default behavior, and allow a setting flag
to undo it. This will help organize the future, I think, a little
better.

Paul

Re: M3: Restrict artifact groupId to TLD only?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
of course since the tld naming rules have been relaxed so that
anything goes, is this really an issue (other than nobody, yet,
registering as the registrar for the log4j tld)

;-)

Sent from my iPod

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
It's always been a guideline to do that, enforcing this would break
too many projects. It would mean either creating a huge discontinuity
between older releases, or a lot of work to convert them all. Neither
is really appealing to me.

On 29-Nov-08, at 11:23 AM, Paul Benedict wrote:

> Team,
>
> What do you think of M3 dealing, by default, only with artifacts whose
> groupId matches valid TLD? One problem in the current M2 repo is that
> unimaginable places that sometimes artifacts reside in... especially
> when things relocate it can become quite cumbersome to navigate
> manually.
>
> I'd like to recommend this default behavior, and allow a setting flag
> to undo it. This will help organize the future, I think, a little
> better.
>
> Paul

Jason

Jason van Zyl