Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Dave Latham <la...@davelink.net> on 2013/07/06 23:49:05 UTC

removing lock ids from RegionObserver

In HBASE-8877 I'm proposing to change row locks to be reentrant and thread
based rather than tracking lock ids.  Part of that change would mean
altering the RegionObserver coprocessor.  Specifically, the methods
preBatchMutate and postBatchMutate would have the parameter
MiniBatchOperationInProgress<Pair<Mutation,
Integer>> miniBatchOp become
MiniBatchOperationInProgress<Mutation> miniBatchOp

Does anyone rely on lock ids for this coprocessor or object to the change?
Is it safe to make this incompatible change for 0.96?

Thanks, Andrew, for already chiming in on the issue.
For more background, see that issue and discussion on HBASE-8806.

Dave

Re: removing lock ids from RegionObserver

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Dave Latham <la...@davelink.net> wrote:

> In HBASE-8877 I'm proposing to change row locks to be reentrant and thread
> based rather than tracking lock ids.  Part of that change would mean
> altering the RegionObserver coprocessor.  Specifically, the methods
> preBatchMutate and postBatchMutate would have the parameter
> MiniBatchOperationInProgress<Pair<Mutation,
> Integer>> miniBatchOp become
> MiniBatchOperationInProgress<Mutation> miniBatchOp
>
> Does anyone rely on lock ids for this coprocessor or object to the change?
> Is it safe to make this incompatible change for 0.96?

+1 for 0.96.  (Why would an observer want the lockid anyways?)
St.Ack

Re: removing lock ids from RegionObserver

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
That part isnt changed.

Note lockRow/unlockRow is removed in 0.95+ and deprecated in 0.94.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: removing lock ids from RegionObserver

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
By lockRow did you mean this (in HRegion.java):

+  @VisibleForTesting void getRowLock(byte[] row) throws IOException {

Cheers

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.