Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2005/08/04 16:51:01 UTC

Project Proposal?

All,

I have a project that I would like to maybe put into the Sandbox, but I
couldn't find any instructions on how to go about doing that.  Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

James

RE: Incubator WAS: Project Proposal?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> given Noel's email on commons-exec, I think it would be good to
> talk about the similarities of the sandbox and the incubator and
> determine if both are needed and how they can help each other.

They are probably both needed, since the sandbox is typically used for
internal projects that are just not ready for prime time.  But the sandbox
cannot be used as a stand-in for the Incubator.

I think that everyone realizes that new communities must be come through the
Incubator, but it may not be as widely understood that external codebases
imported into existing projects must still be recorded in the Incubator.

See:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/projects/
ip-clearance-template.html

	--- Noel

RE: Incubator WAS: Project Proposal?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> ...I just wanted to point out that incubator not only exists
> due to legal reasons. (actually I am not sure if that was the
> main in reason in the first place at all) If it was, we would
> not need it for internally started projects.

Actually, we don't need to use it for internally started projects.  But we
most certainly have to use it for things coming in from the outside.

> But to my understanding it is also about establishing a healthy community.

Absolutely.  When we are bringing in external projects, we need to make sure
that they become a healthy community following ASF practices.

However, when we are bringing in external codebases into an existing
project, we still need to use the Incubator.  Rule of thumb: if you need a
Software Grant, you should be recording it in the Incubator as per the IP
template.

	--- Noel

Re: Incubator WAS: Project Proposal?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>> Well, AFAIU the incubator is also about establishing a community
>> not only about legal safety - so that would apply here as well.
>>
>> ...but the whole progress might be a bit too much for a little
>> library project. That's why the commons sandbox still makes
>> sense. It's about smaller components NOT on the project level.
>>

> Well, I think the point was that this particular project wasn't a
> library project, so not suited for commons.

Sorry my writing was misleading

...I just wanted to point out that
incubator not only exists due to
legal reasons. (actually I am not
sure if that was the main in reason
in the first place at all)
If it was, we would not need it
for internally started projects.

But to my understanding it is also
about establishing a healthy community.
So it does also make sense for
internally sponsored projects.
...given they have a reasonable
size.

So coming back to the original
topic of the thread

So it's a framework?

Yeah - incubator does make sense (to me)
...altough there are no legal issues.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Incubator WAS: Project Proposal?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Well, AFAIU the incubator is also about establishing a community
> not only about legal safety - so that would apply here as well.
>
> ...but the whole progress might be a bit too much for a little
> library project. That's why the commons sandbox still makes
> sense. It's about smaller components NOT on the project level.

Well, I think the point was that this particular project wasn't a
library project, so not suited for commons.

However, given Noel's email on commons-exec, I think it would be good to
talk about the similarities of the sandbox and the incubator and
determine if both are needed and how they can help each other.

> But maybe it would be worth discussing the whole internally
> sponsored projects idea over at incubator. WDTY?

I'm pretty sure that this can happen, and has happenened before. It is
not always necessary, as the committers may be able to start it under
their current project and later if it grows a community of its own look
for promotion to Jakarta of Apache (such as what Maven did from Turbine,
or Ant from Tomcat).

- Brett

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/5/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> I thought the established process was to use the incubator, promoting to
> Jakarta when community strength and diversity was clear. This is what
> recently happened with Derby to DB, for example.
>
> - Brett

That's for projects external to Apache.

Are we saying that if 1, 2 or 3 ASF committers have an idea, they
should either develop it externally or work through the incubator
before creating it?

Hen

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Project Proposal?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
The Syringe API lends itself to setting things up with code.  The HiveMind
API wasn't really meant for that.  It was written with the hivemodule.xml
file syntax in mind and with everybody chanting "less XML is good", we've
had some folks requesting a more API-based approach.  So, you're right,
Siringe is indeed a framework, but it's a lower-level framework.  Something
like HiveMind would sit on top of syringe (as painful as that may sound).  I
would like, someday, to port HiveMind to use the Syringe API underneath, but
that would be quite an undertaking and there are quite a few folks out there
already using HiveMind (anyone using the newest Tapestry, for example).  I
wanted to start something fresh with no limitations of backward
compatibility and see what I came up with.  Hopefully folks with think that
Syringe is easy to use/extend.  I'm working on an example application right
now to see how really easy it is (eat my own dog food).  Hopefully the
example will serve as documentation and an opportunity to figure out how to
make Syringe that much more usable.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

RE: Project Proposal?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
[...]

(EJB, JAX-RPC, RMI, Burlap, etc.).  The wrapper/decorator providers

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

RE: Project Proposal?

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
The sandbox is available to any apache committer - but only to apache
committers.

So if an existing apache project is factoring out some code into a
module that other projects can take advantage of then the sandbox is a
good place for that; the existing committers on that project can all
work in the sandbox then promote the result to commons proper when it's
stable. In fact, this scenario is one of the main reasons commons and
the sandbox were created AFAIK.

When working on an experimental refactoring/rewrite of an existing
commons project, the sandbox might be appropriate too - though now we
are using subversion with branch management than CVS a branch of the
base project might be a better choice.

When starting a project where 3 or more apache committers are already
interested in being involved, the sandbox may also be a reasonable place
to do it.

But if a project is being started where the initial development
community contains non-apache members, or a project which hopes to draw
contributors from outside Apache, then I think the sandbox is an awkward
place to work as those new contributors can't be granted commit access.
Somewhere external is probably a better choice. If the project is
successful it could then be brought back to apache if the development
team want that later. Of course in the latter case things are much
easier if the APL is used for the code.

Regards,

Simon

RE: Project Proposal?

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Re: Project Proposal?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

As far as I understand, as a Jakarta committer, you are entitled to just
start something in the sandbox - however I guess you are much more
likely to have the component succeed if you gather up some people who
want to work on it in advance.

Cheers,
Brett