Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by George Sanderson <ge...@xorgate.com> on 2001/09/08 03:46:23 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Apache::OpenIndex

Back on 13 Dec 00, I posted the creation of module Apache::FileMan.pm.
Today, I
ANNOUNCE that Apache::FileMan has been renamed to Apache::OpenIndex.

The name change was made because, several software applications go by the
same name,
one of which, provides the same basic functionality.  The name OpenIndex
was selected
because it clearly follows from the name, Apache::AutoIndex, from which it
was derived.

Apache::AutoIndex was never released to CPAN.

I do plan to do a CPAN release Apache::OpenIndex on 14 Sep 01 (next Friday.)

OpenIndex provides a file manager for web sites through a web browser. It
is a extensive
rewrite of the Apache::AutoIndex.pm module (written by Philippe M.
Chiasson), which in
turn was a remake of the autoindex Apache module. It can provide the same
functionality
as AutoIndex.pm, therefore it can be used to both to navigate and manage
the web site.

The source is available at:

http://www.xorgate.com/Apache/OpenIndex

A full functioning demo is available at:

http://www.xorgate.com/Apache/OpenIndex/demo

Enjoy.

The name change carries with it configuration directive and default value
changes.
I hope the changes do not cause more problems than they solve.

All comments are welcomed.

Thank you all for bearing with me during this long development cycle.

+======================================+
+======================================+

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache::OpenIndex

Posted by George Sanderson <ge...@xorgate.com>.
At 03:18 PM 9/8/2001 +0800, you wrote:
>> Apache::AutoIndex was never released to CPAN.
>
>Hehe, funny, it sure look like it's still there ;-)

I'm sorry.  Of course what I meant to say was:
Apache::FileMan was never released to CPAN.

Also, for any of you trying to login to the demo late yesterday at:

http://www.xorgate.com/Apache/OpenIndex/demo
I made a password capital letter typo in the README file (at about the same
time I made the above typo) , which by the way, made all the difference in
the world when trying to login.  It was bad for only about an hour.