Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de> on 2014/10/18 08:46:35 UTC

Duplicate messages durable subscriber

Hi

I am using ActiveMQ 5.10 in an application. So far the requirement for the remote locations has been for pure store and forward capabilities,
so that a single AMQ broker was sufficient. This has changed in a way that now 2 nodes should be present in the remote location for
resilience and load balancing. I had considered a master/configuration as the requirement for resilience is stronger than that for load balancing.

However, the situation in those locations is that I don’t have a shared db nor a shared filesystem. As far as I have understood the replicated level db
would require at least 3 nodes ?

This is why I have chosen a network of brokers in the end, which works well for any Queue based communication.

Now my problem is that there is one client application that is provided by a 3rd party and uses durable subscriptions. It would be quite an effort
to change that application towards using queues, so that I could consider virtual destinations.

The problem occurs two-fold:

Assume a  Subscriber connects to BrokerA, then disconnects and reconnects to Broker B. It consumes messages for a while, than disconnects
and reconnects to Broker A. All messages that have already been consumed while it was connected to Broker B will be delivered again.

My question is now whether this could be avoided by means of ActiveMQ alone ? - I was contemplating a broker plugin to track messages that
have been consumed on other nodes so that I could avoid redelivering them again.

Sorry if thats a bit vague - I am fishing for ideas ….

Thanks and best regards
Andreas

Re: Duplicate messages durable subscriber

Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
That's the way I'd prefer it ;)

Will keep you posted
Andreas

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
Hi Tim,

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Gies <an...@wayofquality.de>.
Hello Tim,

[1] https://github.com/woq-blended/blended/blob/master/blended-testing/blended-testing-activemq/src/test/scala/de/woq/blended/testing/activemq/DurableSubscriberSpec.scala <https://github.com/woq-blended/blended/blob/master/blended-testing/blended-testing-activemq/src/test/scala/de/woq/blended/testing/activemq/DurableSubscriberSpec.scala>

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Noel OConnor <no...@gmail.com>.