Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/04/18 05:02:47 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apache/tomcat/core ServletWrapper.java

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> I am *very* -1 on leaving a feature like this in, without warning users
what
> to expect.  Please add a note to the "KNOWN BUGS AND ISSUES"
> section of the release notes document ("src/doc/readme") that tells users
 what
> they should expect on this issue, or anything else where you have
concerns.

I understand, and partially agree.  But I would like to suggest that there
be a mental checklist prior to adding something to the known bugs and
issues list - namely that there be a specific criteria listed for its
removal (example: passing a specific test).

I think that Costin may have overstated slightly the current state, but the
important point is that the absense of known issues is a different state
than known to be defect free.  We held up a release because of a defect
that was reported literally as I was building that release.  Had it been
found the next day, it would have been handled differently.

On projects where releases are few and far between, the pressure to make
the release as perfect as humanly possible is hard to resist.  On projects
where releases are considerably more frequent, there is only a desire to
make the next iteration less imperfect than the previous one.

- Sam Ruby