Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/14 18:53:15 UTC

Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Hello People,

Today, I am proud to announce that I have now uploaded the first
version of the new Scala-Wicket Extensions.

The project aims to be a central point for Scala related extensions to
the Wicket framework.

At the moment, the project consists of an Archetype, Sample
application and Core libraries.

The core libraries at this point consist of some useful implicit
conversation functions (Scala -> Java list conversion, Closure ->
Fodel conversion, etc... ScalaWicket.scala) a collection of simple
extensions to existing components and the Fodel class. The Fodel class
allows us to use closures and pass by name parameters in Scala to
avoid some explicit construction of Models.

For example:
new SLabel("name", person.name )
This actually constructs a Model which just like a Property Model
looks up and re-evaluates the name property of the Person during each
render time (i.e. this is a dynamic model, not a static model as it
may appear to be, or would be if it were Java).
Also:
new SPropertyListView[String]("presentations", list, _.add(new
SLabel("name", "asdp name")))

There are a whole lot of examples in the Specification files, as the
whole library as it stands is covered by Specs unit tests.

It also includes SBT (simple build tool) code AND Maven build code
(take your pick).

I invite all those who are currently using Scala with Wicket to submit
there odds and ends that make life easy for them - I'm sure there's a
whole bunch of stuff out there!

Special thanks to Stuq.nl

P.s. it seems wicketstuff team city is stuck, so the SNAPSHOT won't be
on the Wicket Stuff repo atm, but I'll try and get that sorted out asap.

Maven signature:
		<dependency>
			<groupId>org.wicketstuff.scala</groupId>
			<artifactId>wicket-scala</artifactId>
			<version>1.4-SNAPSHOT</version>
		</dependency>

Cheers,
Antony Stubbs,

sharca.com

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.
On 18/08/2009, at 9:30 PM, Jörn Zaefferer wrote:

> I'll take a look at the archetype. Still, a simple page with some
> example code would help a lot - Maven archetypes can be quite annoying
> when the repository isn't directly available.
I completely agree, but I don't have time atm to do it. And the
samples are available in SVN. Like I said, you are more than welcome
to create a new template page in the wiki, and I will happily fill in
some detail.

If you don't know how to download the code, make sure you have a svn
client installed, go to your prompt and type a variant of:

svn checkout  https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/wicketstuff-core/scala-extensions-parent
  wick-scala-extensions

Then look in the sample directory for the sample project.

> Also I don't know where to get the test-jars.

The test code is all under the src/test dirs of the various projects.
The bulk of the test code is in the core project - wicketstuff-core/
scala-extensions-parent/wicket-scala/src/test

> About that arrow character: Eclipse 3.4.x on Windows XP. Default
> workspace characterset is set to UTF-8 and usually that works just
> fine. It probably was only the class file viewer (with attached
> source) that had troubles displaying the character.

Ok, well try looking in the normal text view.

> But worse, I still
> don't know how to type that character, which makes it extremely
> impractical.

Ok - to clarify, Scala doesn't mind which notation you use for ⇒. You
are free to use "=>" if you wish -they are synonymous. Also note that
you don't have to use ⇒ to interact with the WicketScala library code
either.

Hope that's clarified things!

Cheers,
Antony.

Posted by Jörn Zaefferer <jo...@googlemail.com>.
I'll take a look at the archetype. Still, a simple page with some
example code would help a lot - Maven archetypes can be quite annoying
when the repository isn't directly available.

Also I don't know where to get the test-jars.

About that arrow character: Eclipse 3.4.x on Windows XP. Default
workspace characterset is set to UTF-8 and usually that works just
fine. It probably was only the class file viewer (with attached
source) that had troubles displaying the character. But worse, I still

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok yup - it's on the cards to be removed...

-----

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by cretzel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.

-----

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by Jörn Zaefferer <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Antony,

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.
P.s. I know I'm guilty of it too (I forgot again - the rules for
reply, reply-all etc differ depending on how the lists are setup), but
try to make sure your replies go to both the list, and my email
address - that I'm i'm more likely not to miss them.

Cheers,
Antony.

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by Antony Stubbs <an...@gmail.com>.
My pleasure :) I hope some people enjoying using the useful stuff in there
and I hope we get some useful contributions to add to the collection.. I'm
sure it will evolve over time as I use it more in our company as well.

hmm, faster to write yes, but i don't think faster performing. Definitely
more refactor safe with the Fodel that's for sure! And it'll be even better
once the IDE support gets there...

Yes, everyone's really waiting for the IDE support. 2.8 should be out in
September/October which promises a new eclipse plugin with far superior
functionality, stability and reliability.

P.s., to quickly try out the Wicket Extensions, either add the wicketstuff
repo to your settings.xml, or install the archetype from source, and run:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=org.wicketstuff.scala
-DarchetypeArtifactId=wicket-scala-archetype -DgroupId=com.sharca
-DartifactId=scalawicket-archetypetest -DarchetypeVersion=1.4-SNAPSHOT

Check out the sample app and spec tests for other possible uses.

Cheers,
Antony.

stubbisms.wordpress.com
illegalargument.com
sharca.com

-----

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by Reinout van Schouwen <re...@gmail.com>.
Op zaterdag 15-08-2009 om 13:14 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Martin
Sachs:

> Do you have good IDE for scala ? If the IDE (e.g. Plugin for eclipse) is
> as well as java-IDE, scala would be the better java. But without IDE,
> many enterprises wont use scala.

For what it's worth, Scala support in Netbeans is advancing rapidly:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/Scala

http://blogtrader.net/dcaoyuan/entry/scala_plugin_for_netbeans_rewrite1

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen

Re: Announcing: Scala-Wicket Extensions Project

Posted by Jörn Zaefferer <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Its not quite as good as the Java Tools, but it has come a long way:
http://www.scala-lang.org/node/94

Jörn

Posted by Martin Sachs <sa...@gmail.com>.