Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by rivkash1 <ri...@nite.org.il> on 2007/12/24 10:46:13 UTC

File browser component in wicket

hello all,

can someone please tell me if there is a wicket component which enables
browsing files on my computer?
I need to add a browse button to my page.

thanks
Rebecca

Re: File browser component in wicket

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> To save time (or if you need some hints), you should be able to find several
> implementations of some sort of "FileSystemTreeModel" on Swing related sites
> via Google:  http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/jtree/ this  is
> quite good, iirc, but it's many years since I read it, probably in the last
> millennium!

And Wicket tree components work with Swing tree models, so you can
almost copy 'n paste the whole thing.

Eelco

Re: File browser component in wicket

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
If you wish to give the user the ability to browse your server's file-system
(and you're comfortable with the security implications, permissions etc ...)
you can hand one of Wicket's Tree (or TreeTable in Wicket extensions)
implementations a TreeModel whose nodes are (or hold) folders/files that
know how to retrieve their children using java.io.File and ... that's all
you need to do.
To save time (or if you need some hints), you should be able to find several
implementations of some sort of "FileSystemTreeModel" on Swing related sites
via Google:  http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/jtree/ this  is
quite good, iirc, but it's many years since I read it, probably in the last
millennium! If you're not interested in all of it (it talks about how the
JTree works in general), just look at the downloadable java code there
related to the TreeModel and TreeNodes.
I think Kim Topley (yep that's a plug for an old mate) may also have written
about this in his evergreen Swing books, where the more advanced Swing
components (and their models) are very clearly described, in great detail.

If your users expect to click on a node to view a file, or eidt or delete it
somehow, then you'll have plenty more to think about.

If you are looking to show the client-side file-system in the browser, I'll
leave that up to someone a bit more into javascript, but also check out
http://sstree.tigris.org/ sstree  for browser-side ideas for displaying
hierarchical data.

Happy holidays!

Regards - Cemal