Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com> on 2014/05/30 20:36:27 UTC

Question about Prefix Encodings

Hi,

I have a question about prefix encodings. When we specify encoding to be
FAST_DIFF, PREFIX, are the index/bloom filter blocks also encoded with the
same encoding. Also, are these blocks such as index/bloom blocks kept in
the encoded form inside the block cache ?

Thanks
Varun

RE: Question about Prefix Encodings

Posted by Vladimir Rodionov <vr...@carrieriq.com>.
I do not think this encoding applied to Index and Bloom filter blocks.
It would not make much sense, because these blocks consumes only 1-2% of overall space.

Data blocks are kept encoded inside block cache if encoding is specified.

Best regards,
Vladimir Rodionov
Principal Platform Engineer
Carrier IQ, www.carrieriq.com
Seems like its called DATA_BLOCK_ENCODING, so it should only apply to data
blocks ?

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about prefix encodings. When we specify encoding to be
> FAST_DIFF, PREFIX, are the index/bloom filter blocks also encoded with the
> same encoding. Also, are these blocks such as index/bloom blocks kept in
> the encoded form inside the block cache ?
>
> Thanks
> Varun

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Notifications@carrieriq.com and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.

Re: Question about Prefix Encodings

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
DataBlockEncoding is used when reading / writing data blocks.

Cheers

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.