Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com> on 1998/09/16 22:59:11 UTC

User, Logs, Restarts?

Httpd can wear's two hats, or UID, during it's life: the one it's invoked
via and; the one specified in the config files.

Configuration files are read, and their side effects taken, wearing
both these hats.

The user in force when pconf is cleaned up is can be different than
that when the space was allocated.

ap_open_logs is called wearing either hat.  That has interesting
consequences on the file protections and the processes this fires up.

Or am I confused?

 - ben

Re: User, Logs, Restarts?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
It's always been the case that anything spawned by the parent runs as the
uid of the parent... i.e. the uid that the thing was invoked as.

Dean

Re: User, Logs, Restarts?

Posted by Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>.

Re: User, Logs, Restarts?