Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2018/08/02 10:37:12 UTC

Keeping RefGuide screenshots up to date

In SOLR-12613 we'll rename the "Cloud" menu in Admin UI to "Cluster". This affects pretty much
all admin UI screenshots in the Reference Guide, so the next question then is "How do we
keep all those screenshots up to date?". I counted a total of 42 screen shots of the UI, many
which require creating collections, adding data, typing things into the UI etc up front.

Due to the work involved, we often tend to update only a few shots and leave others as-is even
if they are inaccurate. Example is the new "Suggestions" menu tab - there are 27 screen
shots in the ref guide which are not updated with that menu option.

For SOLR-12613 I'm tempted to only update the four images in "cloud-screens" folder for now.

Perhaps for the future an automated approach can be taken using Selenium, as outlined in
this post: https://blog.codeship.com/automating-screenshots-in-documentation/ This could
in first phase be a standalone tool to generate screenshots but could also be extended with
other tests to get some validation of the UI itself, which is completely lacking today. WDYT?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: Keeping RefGuide screenshots up to date

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
That sounds good.

And, from a quick look, the Asciidoc screenshot tool uses Geb, which
uses Selenium as well (WebDriver anyway). So, maybe there is a clear
path somewhere in there.

Regards,
   Alex.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

See http://www.baeldung.com/java-selenium-with-junit-and-testng <http://www.baeldung.com/java-selenium-with-junit-and-testng>

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/2/2018 8:16 AM, Cassandra Targett wrote:
> My feeling is we should update all of them, especially if the change
> you're talking about isn't made until 8 - a major version feels like a
> good time to refresh all the screenshots as there have been enough
> smaller CSS changes in 7.x that make them obsolete in many other ways.

+1 to update all screenshots in the 8.0 reference guide.

That way we can be absolutely sure that what a user sees in the
documentation will not be different than what they see on their own
screen.  This is a very fast-moving project, so it is easy for info in
the docs to get out of date.

Here's an interesting extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/full-page-screen-capture/fdpohaocaechififmbbbbbknoalclacl?hl=en

For screens where all the information fits without scrolling, it would
be nice to specify uniform window sizes.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Keeping RefGuide screenshots up to date

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
My feeling is we should update all of them, especially if the change you're
talking about isn't made until 8 - a major version feels like a good time
to refresh all the screenshots as there have been enough smaller CSS
changes in 7.x that make them obsolete in many other ways.

IMO, all of them should have also been updated when the Suggestions menu
tab was also added and I've done some as I have time since that was added.

I'm not saying YOU should do all of them, though. I think it would be
enough to do whatever you have time to do  now, and file an issue to update
all the screenshots before the 8.0 Guide is done. Maybe some volunteers
will help make it short work, but I'll probably just end up doing all of
them when the time comes.

Selenium might be fine - I've used it only in a proof of concept like 8
years ago for screenshots, so I don't have a great sense for what it's like
to use longer term. If you want to try that, some automated UI testing
would be great.

The Asciidoctor project also has a plugin to automate getting screenshots (
https://github.com/asciidoctor/asciidoctorj-screenshot), but I only know
about it from hearing of it, I've never tried to use it. It seems geared
toward public websites, whereas Selenium probably has more fine-grained
control.