Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com> on 2004/07/07 22:30:53 UTC

greylisting?

I have been asked to look at implementing greylisting.  I found a couple
of references in the list and few items on the web such as
http://projects.puremagic.com that discuss greylisting.

Has this been effective in blocking spam?  Any pointers on implementing
this using sendmail?

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Re: greylisting?

Posted by Ryan Moore <ry...@perigee.net>.
Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I have been asked to look at implementing greylisting.  I found a couple
> of references in the list and few items on the web such as
> http://projects.puremagic.com that discuss greylisting.
>
> Has this been effective in blocking spam?  Any pointers on implementing
> this using sendmail?

I don't use greylisting myself, but the page below is where you can find
a milter that should let you do it (I use another of the author's
milters). A new version is going to be released shortly I think too.

http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-gris/

Ryan Moore
----------
Perigee.net Corporation
704-849-8355 (sales)
704-849-8017 (tech)
www.perigee.net

Re: greylisting?

Posted by "Scot L. Harris" <we...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 17:10, Andy Jezierski wrote:

> You'll be amazed at how much Spam is eliminated.  I used to get 80-100
> spams per day with a few that slipped by SA, now I get maybe 2 or 3 per day
> and not a single false negative.  I use milter-greylist available at
> http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/ another milter that I ran across is
> milter-gris available at http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-gris/  Just
> make sure sendmail is compiled with the Milter option, add a couple of
> lines to your .mc file and fire up the milter.  Just make sure you
> whitelist your own hosts, as well as any trusted hosts so that they aren't
> unnecessarily delayed.
>
> Andy

Thanks for everyone that responded.  I now need to spend some time
digesting the information and testing the recommended packages.

And thanks for pointing out several caveats to implementing this.
Hopefully that will make this implementation much smoother.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's;
I will not Reason and Compare; my business is to Create.
		-- William Blake, "Jerusalem"

Re: greylisting?

Posted by Andy Jezierski <aj...@stepan.com>.

You'll be amazed at how much Spam is eliminated.  I used to get 80-100
spams per day with a few that slipped by SA, now I get maybe 2 or 3 per day
and not a single false negative.  I use milter-greylist available at
http://hcpnet.free.fr/milter-greylist/ another milter that I ran across is
milter-gris available at http://www.snert.com/Software/milter-gris/  Just
make sure sendmail is compiled with the Milter option, add a couple of
lines to your .mc file and fire up the milter.  Just make sure you
whitelist your own hosts, as well as any trusted hosts so that they aren't
unnecessarily delayed.

Andy

             "Scot L. Harris"
             <webid@cfl.rr.com