Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Miles Huang <hu...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/24 21:40:07 UTC

Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails, is this a right way for the future?

Hi OFBIZ users and developers,

  First of all, I'm a novice of OFBIZ. I've just started to learn and use it
for a couple of month. So if I have made some mistake in the following post,
criticisms are welcomed :clap:

  Does anyone using OFBIZ interested in porting OFBIZ to leverage a mature
and decent web platform, more specifically Grails?

  The idea comes from the post from Christopher Snow, "There was some
interest in porting openerp to jython", and the recent hot topic "groovy
service code instead of minilang". Excuse me, I'm going a step further.:-P

  The problem an OFBIZ novice commonly facing is when he/she has to go
further than the OFBIZ OOTB functionality ( which proves he/she is becoming
a really OFBIZ user:drunk: ). He/she have to learn a lot of techniques in
the unique OFBIZ way, which is commonly a well defined web
framework/OR-mapping tool should take care. This make learning-curve steep.
I fully understand the historical reason of OBFIZ, such as OFBIZ utilize the
IoC idea earlier than Spring, entity-engine evolution over EJB2, and the
ability to avoid the compile-deploy-test cycle and make development more
efficient. And I really admire them, especially considering the age when
OFBIZ developers invent them. But these are not unique features of OFBIZ now
a days. Leading web development platforms such as RoR and Grails has go much
further than what OFBIZ's technical platform can provide, since they have
dedicated man power to spend in researching these area.

  What make things worse is many ways to accomplish same goal in OFBIZ. xml
mini-lang, groovy, bsh, java, just named some. It giving developers freedom
to choose technology what they like, sounds good. But it is a different
story for the long term platform maintainers and customizers. With adequate
open practice, can we gain enough experience to concentrate on a consistent
way to do development task in OFBIZ? (To make me clear, I'm not advocating a
single programming language to solve any problem).

  So..., why I'm still interested in OFBIZ? I must admit even with the
complains, I'm still an OFBIZ fans till now. The answer is the business
level functionalities. This is the real strength of OFBIZ.

  Since most services and actions have implemented in groovy/Java, porting
these code to Grails are smooth. With the leverage of Groovy DSL over
mini-lang, we will go further. Theoretically the chance to migrate the whole
OFBIZ package to Grails platform are possible (more serious research work
needs to be done in this area), while keeping the strength of OFBIZ - the
business level assets accumulated in years.

  Of course it will not be an easy step, only great gains worth such huge
change. So what we may gain from the transition:
* Faster development speed - more efficient, on-rails level;
* Less code - less maintenance spend;
* More concentrate - No more re-invent wheel. Let's concentrate on what
makes OFBIZ unique and leading-edge in limited resource;
* More 3rd party software integration ability - provided by the Grails
platform and plenty of plugins;
* Easier deployment - no more embedding Tomcat, just standard war packages,
which is deployable to any container, even cloud computing providers;
* Last but not least, more smooth learning curve - the key factor to gain
more new coming user and make success.

  Is this a right way to the future? Any thoughts?

Regards,
Miles.

Re: Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails, is this a right way for the future?

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Miles,
i really like to see a POC of an Grails OFBiz component.

I think this could be an interesting project.
So Miles keep on working :-)

--
http://www.lynx.de

Re: Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails, is this a right way for the future?

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.

From: <hu...@gmail.com>

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 25/02/2010 14:31, Christopher Snow a écrit :

> Note that OpenTaps 1.5 (ofbiz derivative) uses hibernate for the
> persistence layer instead of the home grown ofbiz ORM. It would be nice
> to see an option like that in ofbiz!

Hi Chris,

Licenses are not compatible... we can't integrate Hibernate in OFBiz as
it is under a LGPL product (https://www.hibernate.org/356.html), see
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

It's the same reason cobertura is not included, or selenium-server...

Cheers,

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Re: Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails, is this a right way for the future?

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
As with all other possible alternate technologies and practices, if you really like something the thing to do is a proof of concept project.

For a really simple project you could re-implement the example application on your preferred technology. That would at least be a starting point for comparison of the technologies and development approaches. Beyond that some parts of different apps could be built out to further demonstrate the superiority of the new tools.

Without that, I guess there really isn't much to discuss, and that's fine because also without that it's clear that no one really cares a whole lot about it (unless of course someone else does all the work!).

-David

Posted by Miles Huang <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Plugins could be used for separating the modules, this will be more
interesting in Grails 2.0 when the plugin framework will use OSGi -
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-2221

Rather than bring ofbiz to grails, you may find it would be easier to
bring grails to ofbiz, for example it should be relatively trivial to
sit a grails app on top of ofbiz (i.e. as a war file), and use grails to
access the current ofbiz services.

Note that you can already use groovy for writing ofbiz services.
Eventually, when GSP gets separated from grails, this could be used in
ofbiz instead of ftl - http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRAILS-5657

Re: OFBIZ OSGi - WAS: Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

There are couple of bundles. I will bundle them together in a zip and
upload it on sourceforge and let you know.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by chris snow <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Also consider the new effort David is doing/leading on multi-tenants (I say that because I know there are implications on
Delegator...)

Jacques

From: "Raj Saini" <ra...@gmail.com>

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris,

I will look at the page.

Spring has some thing called Dynamic Modules for OSGi. Dynamic services
are part of the OSGi specs now. It should be possible to use either of them.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Raj,

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Raj,

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Raj,

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
just a note you might ask for a vote or make a jira about your idea, if
you expect to have it included in the trunk version.
You may have to end up supporting this yourself.

Raj Saini sent the following on 2/28/2010 4:26 AM:

From: "Christopher Snow" <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Cool! Who knew.

Still, in OFBiz I don't even have to write the Person class. Its already
there. I don't even need to find a database and load the schema. All
that happens for me transparently. If I let it.

Ruth

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 09:06 -0500, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
> How about the seamless and transparent database support by way of the
> Entity Engine?  If you want to develop an application or implement
> ERP,
> then you don't need to worry about the database. You don't need to
> stress over whether to use Hiberanate or JDO or native SQL or
> whatever
> the latest database technology fad happens to be. The EE is here, its
> proven and best of all I don't have to deal with it! I can get on to
> developing my applications.

I'm sorry to say this is also a Grails built in feature. Grails can
simply write the domain model as a Groovy bean. Just give a really
feature rich and yet simple example:
class Person {
  String pid
  String firstName
  String lastName
  BigDecimal salary
  Date birthday

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I hope to get some time to get this more clear one day...

Jacques

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.
Grails can also provides these ability, which is the fundamental spirit
of "Rails" development environment, namely RoR, Grails.

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
There is even a term for this: object-relational impedance mismatch.

Of course, that is true for many other things, like object-service impedance mismatch, object-XML impedance mismatch, etc, etc. It comes down to the simple idea that modeling everything as a custom object is full of problems.

I agree Scott, this is definitely something worth researching for those into building enterprise systems.

-David

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Chris

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I'm more speaking at the business level . You may reuse artifacts there...

Jacques

From: "Christopher Snow" <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
The only thing I see differet about grails is it use ROR. There was some
integration of ROR in ofbiz but the motivator has since stopped and no
more effort has been done. check out Davids response
http://www.mail-archive.com/ofbiz-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg01688.html

maybe picking up where that left off would be the best implantations step.

huang.miles@gmail.com sent the following on 2/26/2010 8:49 AM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 09:22 -0800, BJ Freeman wrote:

> huang.miles@gmail.com sent the following on 2/26/2010 8:45 AM:
> > On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 09:06 -0500, Ruth Hoffman wrote:
> >> How about the seamless and transparent database support by way of the
> >> Entity Engine?  If you want to develop an application or implement
> >> ERP,
> >> then you don't need to worry about the database. You don't need to
> >> stress over whether to use Hiberanate or JDO or native SQL or
> >> whatever
> >> the latest database technology fad happens to be. The EE is here, its
> >> proven and best of all I don't have to deal with it! I can get on to
> >> developing my applications.
> >>
> > I'm sorry to say this is also a Grails built in feature. Grails can
> > simply write the domain model as a Groovy bean. Just give a really
> > feature rich and yet simple example:
> > class Person {
> >   String pid
> >   String firstName
> >   String lastName
> >   BigDecimal salary
> >   Date birthday
> >   String notes
> >
> >   static constraints = {
> >      pid(blank:false, unique: true)
> >      firstName(blank:false)
> >      lastName(blank:false)
> >      notes(blank:true, nullable:true, maxSize:5000)
> >   }
> >
> > }
> > This is all the code you need to write to define a entity model, then
> > CRUD methods, nearly every possible simple finder methods (up to 2
> Actually once you define the enity, CRUD is atomatically genterated.
>
> > fields composite criteria), auto SQL table DML maintenance with re-sync
> what you call re-sync is done at restart of ofbiz
> > ability on every time you change the model, are all ready for you. You
> > can also add some constraints for validation logic and storage hint
> > (most have default value so you don't need to code for every one), just
> > declaration, that's enough.
> how is that different than ofbiz which also updates the UI with changes
> to the entity.
Sorry I haven't mentioned this. Grails scaffolding mechanism can
generate UI based on the domain model define, with validation, and
reflect the changes if you have made.

> > Constraints check are available on presentation/service/persistence
> > tier. Quite like OFBIZ entity engine, but more coding efficient, isn't
> > it?
> using the mini language is more efficient.

I haven't touch much of the mini-lang part yet. What I've demoed is the
equivalence of the OFBIZ entity definition XML plus validation code
written in mini-lang events.

> > And the sophisticated model relation management and auto
> > optimized-locking mechanism, which seems to be a weak point of OFBIZ
> > entity engine.
> >
> >> Or all the framework tools that have been integrated and proven.
> >> Everything from Internationalization and localization support to XML
> >> document handling. (Personally, I'm tired of having to integrate XML
> >> parsers every time I need that functionality in an application.)
> how is that different than ofbiz?
> >>

> > XML process, persistence, i18n support, are all readily built in Grails
> > platform.
> again how is that different than ofbiz other than how it is accomplished?

I'm only try following the question and answer of Christopher has raised:
"I was hoping that my question would get ofbiz supporters to list some of
the benefits of ofbiz over grails." So sorry no much "grails over ofbiz"
here ;-)

Re: Brain-storm: OFBIZ on Grails, is this a right way for the future?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Jacopo:

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
I'm not looking for easy information. Based on my experience of ofbiz
and grails - I really don't know what else ofbiz brings to the table.

I was hoping that I'd missed something fairly obvious which is why I
threw the question out to the list.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
There's a set of instructions at:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/nYTW

Or I can send you a in progress hack of my latest attempt - it's 90mb.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
.. and grails has many plugins : jBPM, drools, birt, quartz, rest, soap,
etc that facilitate building enterprise systems.

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.
Please see inline...

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
One more - inline...