Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by dn...@cscholar.com on 2005/10/13 19:30:32 UTC

Multiple Repositories

Is it possible for svn to be setup so that each account (website) on a host
could have it's own repository if desired?

I have asked my host to do this, and they are taking the matter into
consideration.

If it is possible I would appreciate if someone would provide an example of how
to setup apache for this.

Which might help speed up the process of the host making this available.

The os is Fedora Core, and the server software is apache.

Thanks,
DNR

Re: Multiple Repositories

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
dnr@cscholar.com wrote:
> Is it possible for svn to be setup so that each account (website) on a host
> could have it's own repository if desired?

You could have them set up multiple <Location> directives, one for each
repository.  For ease of keeping them straight, they could create the
repositories pretty much anywhere, including all in one directory.

<Location /svn>
  DAV svn
#Assumes that the ~ will be able to populate the username.  I'm not sure
of a nice, dynamic way to populate this, if there is such a thing.
  SVNPath /repos_home/~
  AuthType Basic
  blah blah blah
</Location>

e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/~myhome/svn

Another option would be to manually create a separate <Location>
directive for each account that desires one.  They could even locate it
inside of separate Virtual Hosts.

Food for thought...

Regards,
Frank

Re: Multiple Repositories

Posted by Bruce Webber <br...@fastmail.us>.
--On Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:30 PM -0700 dnr@cscholar.com wrote:

> Is it possible for svn to be setup so that each account (website) on a
> host could have it's own repository if desired?
>
> I have asked my host to do this, and they are taking the matter into
> consideration.
[snip]

I'm new to Subversion, so you may want to value my ideas accordingly - and
I welcome thoughts and corrections from others. (I recently set up
Subversion for my team at work, and I'm using at home for personal stuff,
including web site development.)

Where do you develop your web site code now? Are you the only developer? I
develop my code on my PC, where I run Apache and PHP, then FTP it up to my
host. Therefore I installed Subversion on my PC. I have one repository for
all my projects (it has a folder for each web site). I run the Subversion
client on my PC, and commit to the repository. Since I'm the only
developer, I simply connect to the repository with a file:// connection.

--
Bruce Webber
brucewebber@fastmail.us