Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org> on 2004/03/12 06:09:13 UTC

[VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Hello.

I am very encouraged by the recent discussions.  I think we are starting
to build a consensus, to establish dialogs and lay the foundation for an
exciting future.  In an effort to capitalize on this momentum, I'm
starting the following, simple, vote:

  Avalon as a single platform

Now, I don't like formalities, so I was initially hesitant to issue this
vote, but I feel that given the context this vote will consolidate our
community.  Language can be tricky sometimes, so I'll try to clarify:

Single Platform = a single specification, single container, single
                  architecture.

This means Avalon components will work in any Avalon compliant container
according to some yet-to-be TCK.  This is not a vote on WHAT the
specification will be, or WHAT the container exactly will look like.
We'll work on those thing step by step (though I believe we're well on
our way with things like Merlin and Leo's Aspects idea).

Voting Rules:

   YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform
   NO  (-1)    =   No, I'm opposed to a single platform
   ABSTAIN (0) =   I'm abstaining.

If this vote passes, we will begin effort to redesign the website, start
on the TCK, start hashing out these tougher issues of specifications and
handle legacy management.  Each of these will be accompanied by the
appropriate proposal and vote process.

I'm really excited for this!

--
 jaaron  <http://jadetower.org>

Re: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 00:09, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Voting Rules:
>
>    YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform
>    NO  (-1)    =   No, I'm opposed to a single platform
>    ABSTAIN (0) =   I'm abstaining.

+1

(as if it wasn't obvious by my wording) :)

Posted by Timothy Bennett <ex...@comcast.net>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

>   Avalon as a single platform
>
> Single Platform = a single specification, single container, single
>                   architecture.
>
> This means Avalon components will work in any Avalon compliant container
> according to some yet-to-be TCK.  This is not a vote on WHAT the
> specification will be, or WHAT the container exactly will look like.
> We'll work on those thing step by step (though I believe we're well on
> our way with things like Merlin and Leo's Aspects idea).
>
> Voting Rules:
>
>    YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform
>    NO  (-1)    =   No, I'm opposed to a single platform
>    ABSTAIN (0) =   I'm abstaining.

+1

(though please read my response to the proposal, because I think there
is significant merit in working on a second container as a means of
validating the component-container contracts and TCK)

Re: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 12 March 2004 13:09, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>   Avalon as a single platform

+1

Re: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@managesoft.com>.
Hi All,

+1, great news.

Cheers,

Marcus

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:09:13AM -0500, J Aaron Farr wrote:

>   Avalon as a single platform

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Mar 12, 2004, at 12:09 AM, J Aaron Farr wrote:
>    YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform
>    NO  (-1)    =   No, I'm opposed to a single platform
>    ABSTAIN (0) =   I'm abstaining.

0

-pete

Re: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Single Platform = a single specification, single container, single
>                   architecture.

+1

Cheers, Stephen.

RE: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
A single platform is the only way!

>    YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform

+1

Alex

RE: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
+1

/LS

RE: [VOTE] Single Avalon Platform

Posted by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.

>    YES (+1)    =   I will to work on a single Avalon Platform

All the best!

Andreas