Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/01 23:31:14 UTC

[docs] Release Distribution

i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
(http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)

please comment or just dive in and patch

- robert

Re: [docs] Release Distribution

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 11:24 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

> >> spelling out that http://archive.apache.org/dist location would be nice.
> >
> > where?
> >
> > (or just dive in and patch)
>
> :)  I have a couple other sites open at the moment and too many active
> console windows, but Distributing -> Understanding -> Archiving is the
> specific section I ment.

i've added a paragraph in. please take a look and see if it's ok. if
not, jump in and patch.

i'm a little unsure about the contacting infrastructure section. we
probably need a reminder to stop people people trying to hall down the
complete site over http but not sure what i have is right.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

I like {podling}, also...

--kevan

RE: [docs] Release Distribution

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 7, 2008 11:42 PM, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthieu,
>
> You've convinced me.
>
> +1 for www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}

this seems to be the most popular choice so i've committed changes
along these lines. take a look and see what you think.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Matthieu,

You've convinced me.

+1 for www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}

Craig

On Jan 6, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Matthieu Riou wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2008 2:01 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2008 11:24 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-
>> clan.net> wrote:

>>> I don't have a strong preference.
>>
>> anyone else?
>>

> I'd go for {podling}. That's what I've seen most often and it's
> even being
> specified [1].
>
> Matthieu
>
> [1]
> http://bitworking.org/projects/URI-Templates/draft-gregorio-
> uritemplate-02.html
>

>> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [docs] Release Distribution

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 12:14 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
> > (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)
> >
> > please comment or just dive in and patch
>
> In general +1, thanks!
>
> Are we missing the *policy* that releases always ship source, and then
> their binaries as desired by the podling... but always, always providing
> that corresponding source, because any ASF release *is* a source release
> first and compiled artifacts second?

it's not missing it since it's not policy it's tautology ;-)

IMHO this topic belongs in the sections describing how to cut a good
release and not in a section which describes what to do once an
approved release has been cut. (i'll commit a description.) the
release management documentation needs a *lot* of work and i think it
best to stay focussed just on the distribution upload part for this
thread, it would be very easy for this discussion to spiral out of
control. i'm not working on the rest so feel free to pick out some
other sections and push them forward.

alternativelty, if you feel to state this explicitly then change
either apache, infra or incubator policy

> where we have www.apache.org/dist/incubator/podling - we want "podling"
> to be italicized (or {bracketed}?)

yeh - i couldn't decide which way was best or whether it should be
done at all :-)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Robert,

changes are good, both for the directory stuff
and the dealing with a defect section.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [docs] Release Distribution

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 10:33 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 4:39 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

> > Could you rephrase the term "top level subdirectory"
> > to something that isn't self-contradictory? ;-)
> > Just dropping the "top level" part should be OK.
>
> i found it quite difficult coming up with accurate desciptions. maybe
> it would be better to rely on more examples to illustrates points

i've introduced the term 'podling distribution directory' to replace
the descriptions using subdirectory. once the mirrors have sync'd
please take a look and see whether:

1 this is an improvement
2 it's now good enough

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 4:39 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > > i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
> > > (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)
> >
> > I was just wondering about the write permissions for
> > all files. Surely the release artifacts should never
> > be modified, as mentioned in later sections. So it
> > would be sufficient to keep those read-only, as long
> > as there is write permission on the directory to remove
> > them?
>
> AIUI yes
>
> the advantage of using the permissions suggested is that it's very
> easy for people to get right. it's irratating when someone tries to
> use directory permissions and gets it wrong since root is required to
> fix them.

anyone with more BSD-foo want to jump in and off to patch?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 2, 2008 4:39 AM, Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> > i've taken a stab at a first draft of documenting release distribution
> > (http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution)
>
> I was just wondering about the write permissions for
> all files. Surely the release artifacts should never
> be modified, as mentioned in later sections. So it
> would be sufficient to keep those read-only, as long
> as there is write permission on the directory to remove
> them?

AIUI yes

the advantage of using the permissions suggested is that it's very
easy for people to get right. it's irratating when someone tries to
use directory permissions and gets it wrong since root is required to
fix them.

> Well, it's not policy and everybody does it that
> way, so I guess there's no need to mention that.

my BSD-foo is too little for me to be confident in creating good
documentation but don't let that stop someone else with more foo
patching

> Could you rephrase the term "top level subdirectory"
> to something that isn't self-contradictory? ;-)
> Just dropping the "top level" part should be OK.

i found it quite difficult coming up with accurate desciptions. maybe
it would be better to rely on more examples to illustrates points

> In the "Archiving Old Releases" section, should people
> verify that an artifact is in the archive before deleting
> it from the dist/ directory? That would only come into
> play if a release artifact is withdrawn within hours,
> before it has been automatically archived. So maybe
> mention it only in "Dealing With A Defect"?

i've commit something along those lines. once the website has sync'd,
take a look and see you have any more improvements for these sections

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.