Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ps...@apache.org on 2004/12/06 00:19:12 UTC

cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math STATUS.html

psteitz     2004/12/05 15:19:11

  Removed:     math     STATUS.html
  Log:
  Removed STATUS file obsoleted by project.xml, changes.xml

Re: Status files and the Commons charter (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math STATUS.html)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
>>>Currently, the Commons charter states that a status file must exist,
>>>and, to date, I believe people have assumed that that file must be
>>>named either "STATUS.txt" or "STATUS.html". Since, as Phil says below,
>>>this status file is obsoleted by the combination of project.xml and
>>>changes.xml, at least for Mavenised projects, it might be worth being
>>>more explicit about this in the charter.
>>>
>>>So, we could add a clause to the charter that says that "the status
>>>file" is either (project.xml + changes.xml) for a Mavenised project,
>>>or STATUS.html or STATUS.txt for non-Mavenised projects.
>>>
>>>Comments?
>>
>>What version of the charter published here
>><http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html> says is
>>
>>"Each package is treated as a product in its own right.
>>
>>   a. Each package has its own status file, release schedule, version
>>number, QA tests, documentation, mailing list, bug category, and
>>individual JAR.
>>   b. Each package must clearly specify any external dependencies,
>>including any other Commons packages, and the earliest JDK version required.
>>         1. External dependencies on optional and third-party codebases
>>should be minimized.
>>         2. All necessary dependencies must be recorded in the
>>MANIFEST.MF file of the package JAR, in the manner recommended in the
>>JDK 1.3 documentation describing 'system extensions'
>>   3. Each package must maintain a list of its active committers in its
>>status file."
>>
>>The statements above indicate that the basic information should exist in
>>a single file.  Seems to me that the info in project.xml by itself
>>serves this purpose; though it might be better to change the wording as
>>you describe to explicitly allow it.
>>
>>I will gladly revert the commit below (and update the STATUS.html file
>>so it matches the release) if you or anyone else really feel that
>>dropping it violates the j-c charter.
>

> No, I don't believe that's necessary. If I did, I would have vetoed
> the commit, which I didn't do. ;-) All I'm suggesting is that we might
> want to clarify the charter to be more specific about what file "the
> status file" actually is. Really, a status file isn't very useful if
> people don't know where to find it. ;-)

I agree. The key is making the core "status" information easy to find,
and the traditional base directory location is best, IMHO. Here is a
stab at a revised version of the section above:

a. Each package has its own release schedule, version
number, QA tests, documentation, bug category, and
distribution JAR files.

b. Each package must clearly specify any external dependencies,
including any other Commons packages, and the earliest JDK version required.
   1. External dependencies on optional and third-party codebases should
be minimized.
   2. All necessary dependencies must be recorded in the MANIFEST.MF
file of the package JAR, in the manner recommended in the JDK 1.3
documentation describing 'system extensions'

c. Each package must maintain a status file including a brief
description of the package, information on the latest release version,
all dependencies, and a full list of active committers.  This file
should be located in the project's base directory, named either
STATUS.html, STATUS.txt or project.xml.

Note that I made a couple of additional changes to part a. -- not
requiring each package to have its own mailing list and allowing
multiple distribution jars.

One small but important point here is that, at least as far as I know,
there is no place in project.xml to specify required JDK level, as
required by part b, so components that don't include STATUS.html need to
document this on their web pages somewhere.

Phil

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 6 Dec 2004, at 00:03, Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip>

> Also, what exactly is the purpose of README.html in
> http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/foo and why are these files
> not in cvs?  Some components have this file and some do not. It is
> referred to in section 11 of
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html>.  I was
> planning on creating one of these as per the instructions, but am
> wondering what purpose it serves, since users are not directed to this
> location for download.

the README.html is picked up by the Apache HTTPD and is displayed under
the index (take a look at
http://www.apache.org/dist*NOSPAM*/jakarta/commons/codec/ for example).

the reason for inclusion is tradition. the purpose served is small
(users sometimes and infrastructure dudes often use direct urls to
access download from the main site so it's useful to have a small
amount of information for them). the esthetics are better than a raw
list (gives a more cared for look). the maintenance effort is small.

the purpose and esthetics could be equally well served by README's
which don't require updating every release.

- robert

Re: Status files and the Commons charter (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math STATUS.html)

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
I also dropped RELEASE-NOTES.txt and was planning to include a link in
README.html and on the commons download page to the changes.html
generated by maven, similarly to what [configuration] does.

Is that OK, or should I add this file back, putting the links to the
maven-generated report in the RELEASE-NOTES.txt file?  As I said above,
I am happy to update and restore both this and STATUS.html, but I
noticed that some other components don't have either one of these and
maintaining duplicate files with the same info seems unecessary.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of README.html in
http://www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/commons/foo and why are these files
not in cvs?  Some components have this file and some do not. It is
referred to in section 11 of
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html>.  I was
planning on creating one of these as per the instructions, but am
wondering what purpose it serves, since users are not directed to this
location for download.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.