Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Scott Fenton <sc...@tierra-innovation.com> on 2005/07/20 20:43:44 UTC

Recommended svn work flow?

Hello,

We are attempting to move from cvs to svn. Here is our current workflow
using cvs:

- initially, web designers and coders have checked out the repos root and
each has their own working copy of the source tree.

- before editing files, they 'cvs update' the dir they are working in and
then make changes and commit them, fixing any conflicts that occur.

- at some point, certain committed files (not all) are approved to move to
the public web server. With cvs, these approved files are tagged 'LIVE' and
then the tagged files are copied into a 'live' working directory (using cvs
update -r LIVE) and then that 'live' directory is rsync'd with the public
server.

I'm looking for some advice on how best to recreate this process using
Subversion.

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Re: Recommended svn work flow?

Posted by Gábor Szabó <sz...@gmail.com>.
On 7/20/05, Scott Fenton <sc...@tierra-innovation.com> wrote:
> - at some point, certain committed files (not all) are approved to move to
> the public web server. With cvs, these approved files are tagged 'LIVE' and
> then the tagged files are copied into a 'live' working directory (using cvs
> update -r LIVE) and then that 'live' directory is rsync'd with the public
> server.

In SVN you usually work in a directory called /trunk.

I think you could keep a copy of /trunk called /LIVE and then when you
would want to
move a file to the live server you would merge thoses specific files
from trunk to LIVE:

But this is not really how people usually work with Subversion.

Probably a better approach would be to keep  all the files in /LIVE
then for every new
feature you would like to add create a branch in  /branches/feature_x
Once you are ready with that feature you will merge it back to /LIVE

This is not exactly the same workflow but I think it will be cleaner
to work like this.

  Gabor