Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by pe...@ec4b.com on 2007/04/04 23:15:56 UTC

Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Hi,

Has anyone run into the problem of having Purchases not calculated
accurately?

These are the figures calculated by traditional means;
Product 1: 35.74
Product 2: 35.74
Shipping :  6.00
Total    : 77.48
Tax      : 13.56
-----------------
Total    : 91.04

These are the figures calculated by Ofbiz Order Manager;
Product 1: 35.74
Product 2: 35.74
Shipping :  6.00
Total    : 77.48
Tax      : 13.57
-----------------
Total    : 91.05

There is a very slight difference of 1c. But the fact of the matter is that
the figure calculated by the system is very slightly incorrect. Struck me
that the Tax maybe being calculated to 3 digits rather than 2 digits.

Does anyone know which file(s) control the calculation of the Tax, so I can
check if it is 2 or 3 digits.

Would appreciated any feedback.

Thanks & Regards,

Peter

RE: Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Posted by pe...@ec4b.com.
Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch Scott.

I did check that, the tax rates in both are exactly the same (17.5%).

Thanks & Regards,

Peter

Also what are the applicable tax rates being applied?

Regards
Scott

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
peter@ec4b.com wrote:

>>>From Excel...

Just because you set Excel to display a certain number of digits, that means
nothing. You can get it to behave closer with the setting "Precision As
Displayed", but using Excel as a "reference" when dealing with floating point
numbers like currency is always subject to rounding errors.

Spreadsheets are "quick and dirty". The "quick" is obvious, think about how
"dirty" applies here.

--
Walter

RE: Inaccurate Calculation of Order

Posted by pe...@ec4b.com.
Hi,

Whichever way I work it out the Order Entry system does seem to be slightly
out.

>From Excel...

		Price         tax 2 digits	tax 3 digits	tax 9 digits
Product 1	35.74	        6.25	      6.255
6.254500000
Product 2	35.74	        6.25	      6.255
6.254500000
shipping	6	        1.05	      1.050
1.050000000
Tax	      13.56	        13.56	      13.56	            13.56

Total	      91.04

The Order Manager came up with 91.05, I have screenshots if anyone is
interested.

Thanks & Regards,

Peter

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter

You can use any of the rounding modes that BigDecimal uses
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/math/BigDecimal.html

Regards
Scott

On 12/04/07, peter@ec4b.com <pe...@ec4b.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Still having trouble setting the 'arithmetic.properties' file to give the
> correct figures.
>
> What are the permitted 'rounding parameters'?
> ROUND_HALF_UP
> or...
>

> #
> # Arithmetic properties for configuring BigDecimal calculations
> #
>
> # For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related
> invoices
> invoice.decimals = 2
> invoice.rounding = ROUND_HALF_UP
>
> # For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related
> orders,
> # such as shopping cart amounts and order amounts
> order.decimals = 2
> order.rounding = ROUND_HALF_UP
>
> # For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related
> customer accounts
> # such as Financial Accounts
> finaccount.decimals = 2
> finaccount.rounding = ROUND_HALF_UP
>
> # Most companies would want their sales tax calculations ALWAYS to round
> up
> (ie, 100.081 becomes 100.09)
> # This could be ROUND_CEILING or ROUND_UP.  (The difference is that
> ROUND_CEILING rounds towards positive infinity,
> # ROUND_UP away from zero.  So, for 1.13, both ROUND_UP and ROUND_CEILING
> will round to 1.2, but for -1.13,
> # ROUND_UP gives you -1.2 and ROUND_CEILING -1.1.)
> salestax.calc.decimals = 2
> salestax.final.decimals = 2
> salestax.rounding = ROUND_HALF_UP
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Peter

# For setting decimal precision and rounding method of operations related to

Posted by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com>.

Posted by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com>.
So the difference here is:

1.  Round before totaling
or
2.  Round after totaling.

Can OFBiz be set to do either, or only one?

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Here is the configuration file, you can change the settings to whatever you
want them to be:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/applications/accounting/config/arithmetic.properties?view=markup

>From the default settings, it looks like calculation takes place at 3 digits
then gets rounded up to 2 places.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David,

David E. Jones wrote:

> Ummmm.... need more details. There are variations in rounding modes,
> precision rules etc.
>
> For example with VAT in pretty much ALL countries that use VAT you  must
> calculate line item tax amounts with 3 digits of precision, add  them
> up, then round to 2 digits.
>
> -David
>

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 5:50 PM, <pe...@ec4b.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi David,
>>

>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> An excel spreadsheet that our account had verified.
>>

>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Peter

Rather strikes me that the calculations used here always stay accurate to 2
digits, we never use 3 digits in the calculation at all.

May I ask where you got the algorithm of 3 digits per entry then 2 digits to
complete the total?

Thanks David,

Peter

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.