Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2009/03/17 14:18:14 UTC

Re: March 2009 Incubator Board Report

On Mar 16, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> = Log4php =
>> Log4php failed to report.
>> Log4php has been in the Incubator since 2004, and was retired once
>> already,
>> then reviewed by new interest appeared.  Reviewing the mailing
>> list, Log4php
>> appears to still be very much a one person project, with Christian
>> Grobmeier
>> as the sole participant.  I see no sign of a user community, nor a
>> developer
>> community.  Is there any thought on what should be the discposition
>> of the
>> project?  Apache Labs?  Something else?
>
> as allready said, I tried to get contact to Log4PHP. The only one who
> responded is one of the mentors. But besides that, some other people
> mailed me (directly, unfortunatly) and claimed that they tried to
> commit patches, but never get heard by any developer.
> I strongly believe that log4php CAN have a community, but must do lots
> of codework.

I would love to see log4php get more traction, but when a
mentor (myself) is the only person attempting to keep the
project going, it's not good.

I would encourage any potential developers to contact me directly,
and I will "drive thru" and fast-track their involvement in
the podling... I say we give it 3 more months and then,
if it fails to reboot, we close it down as a podling.

Re: March 2009 Incubator Board Report

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> Again while maybe not completely relevant, I did want to point out that it
> is possible to grow a PHP community inside of Apache, and one does actually
> already exist :)

That is indeed very good to hear!

Christian

Re: March 2009 Incubator Board Report

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@google.com>.
This might or might not be relevant, but there is at least one
very-much-alive PHP community within the Apache incubator: the PHP version
of Shindig (http://incubator.apache.org/shindig/ &
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/trunk/php/).

While we haven't been able to attract a lot of committers yet for the PHP
part (most people are more comfertable submitting a patch when their
implementing it, but don't always feel the need to take that next step),
there are well over a dozen individuals who sometimes submit patches,
provide feedback & there's over 20 very large websites who use it for their
OpenSocial support.

Again while maybe not completely relevant, I did want to point out that it
is possible to grow a PHP community inside of Apache, and one does actually
already exist :)

   -- Chris

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
fwiw I emailed Jim directly yesterday (no reply yet but he's a busy man)
indicating I would like to help in some way, perhaps by applying patches,
updating the website etc. I know some PHP but not much logging.

Just trying to keep the project alive, let me know if I can help

Gav...

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I would love to see log4php get more traction, but when a
> mentor (myself) is the only person attempting to keep the
> project going, it's not good.

yes - its frustrating.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I would love to see log4php get more traction, but when a
> mentor (myself) is the only person attempting to keep the
> project going, it's not good.

yes - its frustrating.