Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Sam Pickles <S....@F5.com> on 2008/07/24 12:41:32 UTC

Server failed to start: java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot start. is a loopback address.

Hi all;

I have unpacked /root/Desktop/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2 on a Centos 5 machine; and I am attempting to run jmeter-server.

I am getting the following error:

Server failed to start: java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot start. <hostname> is a loopback address.

I don't understand this error; can anyone shed any light on what I need to do?

I will be trying to use several of these machines in a distributed test, if I can get the server started.

Sorry if this is a repeat post, I am a newbie and can't see how to search the list archives.  Web searches are proving fruitless so far.

Regards, Sam

Sam Pickles | Senior Field Systems Engineer | UK&I
s.pickles@f5.com  | www.f5.com
M. +44 7901 860 951
F5 Networks | Chertsey Gate West|
43 - 47 London Street | Chertsey |
Surrey |KT16 8AP |United Kingdom

Re: Server failed to start: java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot start. is a loopback address.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 24/07/2008, Sam Pickles <S....@f5.com> wrote:
> Hi all;
>
>  I have unpacked /root/Desktop/jakarta-jmeter-2.3.2 on a Centos 5 machine; and I am attempting to run jmeter-server.
>
>  I am getting the following error:
>
>  Server failed to start: java.rmi.RemoteException: Cannot start. <hostname> is a loopback address.
>

>  I don't understand this error; can anyone shed any light on what I need to do?

The host name is resolving to a loopback address, e.g. 127.0.0.1.
The server sends its host details back to the client - and obviously
the client cannot contact the server using a loopback address.

Some Linux systems seem to default to defining the hostname as a
loopback address; check the relevant documentation as to how to change
this.