Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by mdirkse <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/07 17:25:32 UTC

[DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Hi,
We'd really like for the daemon executable to forward the -javaagent command
line arg to the java command. One of my colleagues actually patched
arguments.c in order to support this. Much to our surprise, when we went to
check the code in svn, it already included a similar fix.
The commit that applied the fix is from july of 2006. We also found an issue
relating to this (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-84), which is
from march of that same year. And apparently the latest version of
commons-daemon, 1.0.1, was released in 2005.

That's a long time ago.

I understand that if something basically works to everyone's satisfaction
and isn't too buggy, there's no need to do releases all the time. But in
this case, support for -javaagent and other 1.5 features has been requested
a few times, and the code to make it happen has been languishing in trunk
for almost 4 years, waiting to be released. It seems like there's reason
enough for a new (point) release.

So here's my question: is there any chance of a new release of daemon being
baked? I'm willing to help out in any way I can to make it happen. We've
used jsvc in our product from day 1, and we'd be glad to invest some time to
move commons-daemon along.

Regards,
Maarten

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@inet.hr>.
On 01/07/2010 05:25 PM, mdirkse wrote:

 > So here's my question: is there any chance of a new release of daemon being
 > baked?

I'll try to make the release by the end of this month.
Still have to clean up all the Jira issues.

 > I'm willing to help out in any way I can to make it happen. We've
 > used jsvc in our product from day 1, and we'd be glad to invest some time to
 > move commons-daemon along.

Pefect.
I suppose I can ping you to test the pre-release

Regards

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/18/2010 02:36 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> The descriptor has a<fileMode>775</fileMode>  for *.sh files - so they
>> should be - but I'm on windows ATM but can look at this when I get
>> home later.
>>

> Seems like a maven bug. fileMode is kept across the <fileSet>
> boundary. So you've set up 755 for *.sh and that was default
> mode for later file operations, so addition 664 was needed
> to turn 755 off.
> Nice to know if some stumbles on the same problem.

OK, good to know, thanks.

Niall

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/18/2010 01:10 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> OK I've updated the bin assembly descriptor so copy in the sources
>> without needing Ant to run first. Do we need this and also a separate
>> "native-src" distro?
>>

> Cool, although unix/configure and unix/support/*.sh should
> have execute permissions set.

The descriptor has a <fileMode>775</fileMode> for *.sh files - so they
should be - but I'm on windows ATM but can look at this when I get
home later.

> Currently they are not set, and also all files
> inside  windows/ have 755 which is wrong.
> They should have 644 and crlf line endings.

The assembly descriptor is configured to crlf line endings for windows
and I have just verified that its working for me. I''l check the
permissions when I get home.

Niall

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 02/18/2010 03:31 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Mladen Turk<mt...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 02/18/2010 01:10 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>>
>>> OK I've updated the bin assembly descriptor so copy in the sources
>>> without needing Ant to run first.
>>
>> Just did a minor fix for file permissions to get set correctly,
>> so disregard my previous email.
>>
>>> Do we need this and also a separate
>>> "native-src" distro?
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean by that.
>
> Just that we now have the native source in both a separate natvie-src
> (i.e. commons-daemon-1.0.2-native-src.zip) distro and the binary (i.e.
> commons-daemon-1.0.2-bin.zip) distro and was wondering it you wanted
> both?

Both.
native-src is replacement for jsvc.tar.gz with additional windows
sources. Actual src contains everything and -sources.jar contains
only java sources (although those could also just be -src.jar)

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/17/2010 02:56 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> I can do that if you're OK with it.
>>

> Go for it.

OK done

Niall

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'll tag 1.0.2 and propose a vote this Friday (Feb 19th)
> Any objections?

I made a few minor changes to the maven/ant build files.

There are currently Ant, Maven 1 and Maven 2 builds for Daemon. I
think we should get rid of the Maven 1 build - as long as you're not
going to use that to create the release? I can do that if you're OK
with it.

Just wondering how you create the Daemon release - I guess you have to
generate the native bits, but then what? - do you use Ant or Maven to
package it up. Hopefully Maven 2, because thats set up to generate
some standard stuff for all components (use "mvn -Prc package"  or
"mvn -Prc install") - but the last release was before Daemon's Maven 2
build was there - I can help if you want but I guess the m2 build
(i.e.the bin.xml assembly descriptor) probably needs adjusting.

Niall

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 02/15/2010 07:36 AM, Jack Cai wrote:
> Any luck to get a Vote started this week?

Sure, that's the plan.
Need to test the build on few more platforms,
and I'll propose a vote.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
Mladem it looks like you are making quite some progress! Thanks a lot!

Any luck to get a Vote started this week?

-Jack

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
Cool! Thanks Mladen!

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 01/12/2010 05:17 PM, Jack Cai wrote:

> I also reported a bunch of JIRAs against procrun and provided
> corresponding fixes, back to a year ago. Can we also make a new
> procrun release?

Sure, it'll be part of that release.
I plan to release the windows binaries as well and
axe the one found in tomcat svn, so it'll use
those released binaries instead (renaming them
to tomcatX.exe at build time)

> The to-be-committed JIRAs that I worked on include -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-119
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-118
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-116
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-115
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-114
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-113
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAEMON-112

I'll review them and commit accordingly.

> I'm happy to help out with either JIRA fixing or testing too.

Excellent.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
That's great to know!

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 01/07/2010 06:23 PM, mdirkse wrote:

>> I suppose I can ping you to test the pre-release
> For sure. And if you need any help verifying bug fixes etc. to clean up
> Jira, let me know.

Will do.

Thanks
--
^TM

Re: [DAEMON] New release of daemon?

Posted by mdirkse <ma...@gmail.com>.
> I'll try to make the release by the end of this month.
Fantastic.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.