Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> on 2001/09/30 11:20:30 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support config.m4

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 07:57:15AM -0000, jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:
> jerenkrantz    01/09/30 00:57:15
>
>   Modified:    .        acinclude.m4 configure.in CHANGES
>                modules  config5.m4
>                server/mpm config.m4
>                support  config.m4
>   Log:
>   Kill two autoconf-related birds with one commit.
>
>   - substr used in APACHE_MODULE for the help string did not parse correctly
>     with autoconf 2.50+ so we had to punt there anyway and use AC_HELP_STRING.
>   - Add APACHE_HELP_STRING define that will call AC_HELP_STRING on 2.50+
>     (actually not 2.13 - look at the regex call) or do our custom variation
>     of it.  This function can't have any extra spaces or it will be returned
>     in the help string.  So noted.  If anyone can figure out how to insert
>     a line break like 2.50+ does when we go over the 26th column, I'd
>     appreciate it.  I tried and I'm way too tired to figure it out now.
>     Adding this would greatly simplify two or three HELP_STRING uses.
>   - Switch all of those annoying WITH and ENABLE functions to use the
>     APACHE_HELP_STRING.  This makes everything consistent now.  I've always
>     had to go through and keep aligning everything every few months or so
>     because I'm the only one who cares.  No more.  I refuse to do it any more!
>     Use APACHE_HELP_STRING or be crucified.

Looks good from here (autoconf 2.13) with one minor complaint: I'm seeing
things like this from --help for long parameters:

  --enable-optional-hook-export example optional hook exporter
                              ^^^

Any way we can make it put an extra space in there like we used to have,
just to make it more readable? Just count how long the parameter string
length is and add an extra space to the help string if over some constant.
I'd do it but I'm no m4 guru. :)

-aaron

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support config.m4

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@ebuilt.com>.
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 02:20:30AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> Looks good from here (autoconf 2.13) with one minor complaint: I'm seeing
> things like this from --help for long parameters:
>
>   --enable-optional-hook-export example optional hook exporter
>                               ^^^
>
> Any way we can make it put an extra space in there like we used to have,
> just to make it more readable? Just count how long the parameter string
> length is and add an extra space to the help string if over some constant.
> I'd do it but I'm no m4 guru. :)

My commit log:

> >     the help string.  So noted.  If anyone can figure out how to insert
> >     a line break like 2.50+ does when we go over the 26th column, I'd
> >     appreciate it.  I tried and I'm way too tired to figure it out now.
> >     Adding this would greatly simplify two or three HELP_STRING uses.

Yeah, what I'd really like to see happen is that we do a line break
like what autoconf-2.5+ does when we exceeed the 26th column.

Trust me, I spent over an hour trying to do it and I gave up.  The
easy way to make it look nice is to upgrade your version of autoconf
or find a m4 guru.  Because I'm sure not one.  =)   -- justin