Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Brian Shields <br...@geminga.it.nuigalway.ie> on 2006/03/13 17:47:32 UTC

Axis2 and JBoss 4.0

Hi All,
I am currently using Axis2 and WSS4J as a test environment for some
secure services. I want to now deploy these secure services on a JBoss
4.0 AS. My experience with JBoss is limited, this work has been carried
out by another member of the group. We have an ejb application which
uses a stateless session bean to implement the web services interface.
At the moment this is all deployed using JBossWS. Has anybody deployed
Axis2 as a service within JBoss 4.0? Is it straightforward. There is the
option of changing to JBoss WS, but I am using other Axis2 features like
handlers that I would rather not drop.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could go about this
transition? Any documentation on the web where this has been tried?
Regards,
Brian.

--
Brian Shields BSc. MSc.,
PhD Candidate,

Re: Axis2 and JBoss 4.0 and Asynchronous Webservices

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
I looked more into this out of curiosity:

1) JBoss 4.0.x internally uses a modified version of Axis 1.x. However, they
only support their own stacks:

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=WebServiceStacks

"Any stack not listed above is *not supported*. This includes *Standalone
Apache Axis*, and the *JWSDP Web Services Stack*. Only the wscompile tool in
the JWSDP is supported. "

This primarily means EJB - of course nothing is stopping you from using your
WAR, handling your transactions via spring, hibernate etc.

2) The modified Axis 1.x stack is being phased out for their own stack,
which supports JAXWS-2.0:

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossWS

3) They have a page "Why is Apache Axis not
supported<http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=67754&start=-10&postdays=postDays&postorder=postOrder&highlight=highlight>"

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3889456#3889456

HTH,
Robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Shields <br...@geminga.it.nuigalway.ie>.
Tony,
Thats great, Ill get stuck into it. Thats pretty much what I assumed
would be the way to do it. The only problem I can forsee having is
having a SessionBean as the Web Service endpoint rather than a POJO. It
should still be straight forward though and a simple JNDI lookup should
connect the SessionBean to the EntityBean application in the background.
Once again my experience with J2EE is limited and JBoss even more so, so
it will be a case of feeling round in the dark for a while.
Thanks for the pointers though,
Brian.

Antony Wilson wrote:

> [...]
>>> Axis 1 and JWSDP - javax.xml.rpc.handler.Handler is one I've used a
>>> lot. However, axis2 does not currently support JAX-RPC. JBoss is
>>> pretty wired into JAX-RPC.
>>>
>>> So to make Web Services function with JBoss and EJB you'll need to
>>> edit and create a lot of files, and using axis2 in jboss and ejb is
>>> a bit bleeding edge. Don't get me wrong - it'd be a cool project and
>>> yes I think it can be done. But if you don't know Jboss or axis2
>>> well, there are not going to be a lot of docs to help you. My
>>> personal experience on the jboss lists have not been good - they
>>> strongly encourage paid support.
>>>
>>> Another option I would strongly consider is just use hibernate if
>>> you have a choice - instead of EJB. It'll be a lot simpler config.
>>> Sounds like your commited to EJB though.
>>>
>>> If you still decide to use axis2 with jboss, look at the jboss guide

>>> ejb-jar.xml

Posted by Antony Wilson <an...@gmail.com>.
Brian,

Re: Axis2 and JBoss 4.0