Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2003/09/03 21:50:47 UTC

[PROPOSAL] archive old unmirrored tomcat releases

(as many you will know) the apache software foundation policy concerning
releases is now that all releases should be available only through:

1. the main mirrored ASF distribution directories
2. the main ASF archives

tomcat releases are still available through the older unmirrored
directories. the download statistics (supply by infrastructure) show that
unmirrored tomcat downloads from these directories are still proving far
too popular. this is a major issue since the ASF has to pay for bandwidth.

my proposal is that:

1. all available distributables for the latest tomcat 3, tomcat 4 and
tomcat 5 releases be added to the appropriate mirrored directories and
linked to jakarta download pages. if necessary, md5's and signatures will
be created for these distributables. (except for tomcat 3 this should just
be checking and tidying up).

2. the older releases for tomcat 3, tomcat 4 and tomcat 5 be moved into
the ASF archives (where they will remain available for download) and that
all requests be redirected to the main jakarta binary download page where
the latest release can be downloaded or the link to the archives can be
followed.

(unless someone else steps forward) i'll volunteer to carry out this work.
  (unless someone corrects me) i'll assume that the decision will proceed
by lazy consensus. (unless someone forces a vote before then) i'll carry
out this work sometime after 12 noon GMT on this friday (5th september).

- robert

Re: [5.0.10] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:

> I can post new binaries for procrun tomorrow (PST) to BZ (now that Daemon is
> in commons-proper, I can't check-in directly :-().  This includes a patch
> from JFC for W9x (that I missed in the last build), and a patch from Mladin
> to limit memory usage in the console.  Neither is particularly critical, so
> if you want to tag and leave these for 5.0.11, I've got no objections.

Mladen posted a new build not too long ago. Doesn't that include all
those patches ?

Somehow the binaries didn't get moved to jakarta-commons/daemon. Can
someone put them there (I can get them back from the old CVS otherwise)
? Thx.

Remy

Re: [5.0.10] Tag tomorrow

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

[5.0.10] Tag tomorrow

Re: [PROPOSAL] archive old unmirrored tomcat releases

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> I used Freshmeat for some time, and concluded it is useless

Sure, but users go there and follow the links.

> (not user friendly, their admins are not very nice and few people in
> the Java community use it).

Take a look at <http://www.apache.org/~slive/bandwidth-hogs.txt>,
Tomcat 4.1.24 from the unmirrored directory comes far far in front of
the mirrored 4.1.27 (downloaded more than twice as often).

I cannot find any other link pointing to the 4.1.24 release, so it
seems that quite a few people use Sourceforge.

IMHO it would be better to either drop the freshmeat listing
completely or adjust the download URLs to point to the bin/sourceindex
pages (that would be correct for future releases as well).

Stefan

Re: [PROPOSAL] archive old unmirrored tomcat releases

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:
> In particular it seems that people are downloading 4.1.24 instead of
> the latest release.  After looking around a bit, I think they are
> getting there via freshmeat.net.
>
> Remy, could you please announce the 4.1.27 release at freshmeat and
> use http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi as URL for all
> download types (sourceindex.cgi for the sources, of course).

I used Freshmeat for some time, and concluded it is useless (not user

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 07:34 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> 1. all available distributables for the latest tomcat 3, tomcat 4
>> and tomcat 5 releases be added to the appropriate mirrored
>> directories and linked to jakarta download pages.
>
> Only the latest stable releases, I'd say.

i've add the latest tomcat 3 release (3.3.1a).

> Please also note the conversation between myself and Glenn in another
> thread about the connector releases.

i've left the connectors alone.

>> 2. the older releases for tomcat 3, tomcat 4 and tomcat 5 be moved
>> into the ASF archives
>
> this shouldn't include betas/alphas/milestones either IMHO.
>
> 3. move betas/alphas/milestones to <http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/>.
>
> I'm not sure whether there is any point in keeping unstable releases
> that have been superseded by newer releases around at all.  Just MHO.

i couldn't see very many betas or milestones. i've moved all the releases
into archive and i've added .htaccess file which redirect to the main
jakarta download page.

- robert

Re: [PROPOSAL] archive old unmirrored tomcat releases

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> wrote:

> the download statistics (supply by infrastructure)

[1]

> show that unmirrored tomcat downloads from these directories are
> still proving far too popular.

In particular it seems that people are downloading 4.1.24 instead of
the latest release.  After looking around a bit, I think they are
getting there via freshmeat.net.

Remy, could you please announce the 4.1.27 release at freshmeat and
use http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi as URL for all
download types (sourceindex.cgi for the sources, of course).

> 1. all available distributables for the latest tomcat 3, tomcat 4
> and tomcat 5 releases be added to the appropriate mirrored
> directories and linked to jakarta download pages.

Only the latest stable releases, I'd say.

Please also note the conversation between myself and Glenn in another
thread about the connector releases.

> 2. the older releases for tomcat 3, tomcat 4 and tomcat 5 be moved
> into the ASF archives

this shouldn't include betas/alphas/milestones either IMHO.

3. move betas/alphas/milestones to <http://cvs.apache.org/dist/jakarta/>.

I'm not sure whether there is any point in keeping unstable releases
that have been superseded by newer releases around at all.  Just MHO.

> (unless someone else steps forward) i'll volunteer to carry out this
> work.

Thanks

        Stefan

Footnotes: