Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/01 13:54:25 UTC

GitHub Pages (Was: Your project website)

Ralph, regarding your "after a discussion on Slack with infra I determined
that using GitHub pages isn’t what we want to do." remark... I am curious
to know about the details. Can we use GitHub pages in some way? Or why one
should prefer one over another?

Re: GitHub Pages (Was: Your project website)

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
For what it's worth, GitHub Pages is simply a Jekyll-based site. If
you want something convenient like that, I highly recommend doing
something like Apache Accumulo and Apache Fluo did, to take advantage
of the ASF infrastructure, rather than rely on GitHub Pages to
generate the Jekyll.

See the Jekyll configuration at:
https://github.com/apache/fluo-website/blob/main/.asf.yaml
See the publishing instructions at:
https://github.com/apache/fluo-website#publishing
And, the rest of the content of that repo is the Jekyll-based site.

(Accumulo's site is basically the same setup, but depends on Jekyll
gem directly, rather than transitively via the GitHub Pages gem, and
added some custom ruby plugins to make writing links to issues easier
in our docs.)

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.