Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org> on 2017/02/25 20:18:51 UTC

Draft Podling Report

Hi Guys,

As per the recent discussion on the mailing list, it seems that it may be
best to put Pirk in the attic for a while. For varying reasons, the
previous active contributors don't seem to be able to devote serious cycles
to Pirk right now and the Pirk community has not been growing. I have
drafted the podling report below as such - please let me know if think
otherwise. The podling report is due on Wednesday, March 1.

Thanks-

Ellison Anne

PirkPirk is a framework for scalable Private Information Retrieval
(PIR).Pirk has been incubating since 2016-06-17. The initial code for
Pirk wasgranted on 2016-07-11.Three most important issues to address
in the move towards graduation:  1. Grow the community to establish
diversity of background and expertise.  2. Establish a formal release
process and schedule, allowing for dependable     release cycles in a
manner consistent with the Apache development     process.  3. Add to
and improve the Pirk user documentation and examples both on the
website and in the codebaseAny issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or
ASF Board wish/need to beaware of?  Yes. The Pirk community
participation and growth has stalled over the last few months.
Recently, there has been discussion on the mailing list about retiring
Pirk (putting it in the attic) for right now.How has the community
developed since the last report?  The Pirk community has not developed
since the last report - there have been no new contributors or
committers added.How has the project developed since the last report?
The Pirk project has stalled - the existing community has not been
active nor has the community grown.Date of last release:  October 9,
2016When were the last committers or PMC members elected?  Pirk
elected two new committers (Tim Ellison and Suneel Marthi, both
mentors) on August 18, 2016.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.
Thanks so much!

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
I can do it after 1 hr.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
Done.

Mentors, please go ahead and sign-off on the report and add ur comments.

Thanx

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@apache.org>.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I'm sitting on a few "PIR-as-a-service" changes that were awaiting
the great submodule refactor task.

The dogged engineer side of me means I'll probably complete that in my
own repo (while honoring the ALv2, of course) if/when Pirk ends up in
retirement!

Tim

Re: Draft Podling Report

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.