Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by vm...@pivolis.com on 2003/03/26 11:34:00 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Inheriting project properties and maven.xml

Hi,

I'd like to propose to support inheritance of project properties and
maven.xml. It would work in the following way:

if the project POM extends a project.xml (<extend> tag)
  set inheritdir = location of inherited project.xml
  if project.properites exist in inheritdir
    load inheritdir/project.properties
  fi
  if maven.xml exists in inheritdir
    load inheritdir/maven.xml
  fi
fi

What do you think?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inheriting project properties and maven.xml

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 09:25, vmassol@pivolis.com wrote:
> Quoting Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 05:34, vmassol@pivolis.com wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to propose to support inheritance of project properties and
> > > maven.xml. It would work in the following way:
> > >
> > > if the project POM extends a project.xml (<extend> tag)
> > >   set inheritdir = location of inherited project.xml
> > >   if project.properites exist in inheritdir
> > >     load inheritdir/project.properties
> > >   fi
> > >   if maven.xml exists in inheritdir
> > >     load inheritdir/maven.xml
> > >   fi
> > > fi
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Decided upon long ago, and there are tests which pick out the faults in
> > the inheritance of projects in general properties being among them.
> >

> cool. But then, it must be missing some tests as it doesn't seem to be working
> for me... ;-). So you're saying it's a bug. I'll report it in JIRA.

They are there and can be executed individually but they aren't part of
the touchstone because they cause it to fail.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inheriting project properties and maven.xml

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.

> let me be more precise. The maven.xml is indeed inherited (it
> works). The issue I have is with the project.properties which does
> not seem to be inherited. Is that the normal behaviour? Is there
> some doc on inheritance that I can look at (BTW, I've noticed the
> <extend> tag is not documented on the web site)?

I believe this is a known issue and there are touchstone tests in the
tree showing the faults.  They just haven't been fixed/resolved yet.

I also am in need of sharing/inheiriting properties for reactor
projects and added the tests to the touchstone that show the problems.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/maven/src/test/touchstone-build/src/reactor-build/standard/BUGS.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inheriting project properties and maven.xml

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I've also noticed a problem with inheritance between parent and sub
projects when dealing with properties also specified in the
driver.properties.  See MAVEN-294 for more info.  This may be related to
your problem...however, I haven't heard anything back from this bug.  As
far as I can tell, no one has even LOOKED at it.  I have patches to add
a test to touchstone, along with patches to fix the problem.  Please
have a look, and let's get this problem fixed.  It is starting to
seriously affect my ability to keep pace with maven's HEAD.

John

Posted by vm...@pivolis.com.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 05:34, vmassol@pivolis.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose to support inheritance of project properties and
> maven.xml. It would work in the following way:
>
> if the project POM extends a project.xml (<extend> tag)
>   set inheritdir = location of inherited project.xml
>   if project.properites exist in inheritdir
>     load inheritdir/project.properties
>   fi
>   if maven.xml exists in inheritdir
>     load inheritdir/maven.xml
>   fi
> fi
>
> What do you think?

Decided upon long ago, and there are tests which pick out the faults in
the inheritance of projects in general properties being among them.

> Thanks
> -Vincent

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Inheriting project properties and maven.xml

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
+10000

:)

I believe it already exists in beta-8 for maven.xml and is supposed to exist
in beta-9 for proeprties (though I have not tried).

I would also love to see inheritance of build.properties aswell ... ;)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:34, vmassol@pivolis.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose to support inheritance of project properties and
> maven.xml. It would work in the following way:
>
> if the project POM extends a project.xml (<extend> tag)
>   set inheritdir = location of inherited project.xml
>   if project.properites exist in inheritdir
>     load inheritdir/project.properties
>   fi
>   if maven.xml exists in inheritdir
>     load inheritdir/maven.xml
>   fi
> fi
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent

Cheers,

Peter Donald
The phrase "computer literate user" really means the person
has been hurt so many times that the scar tissue is thick
enough so he no longer feels the pain.
   -- Alan Cooper, The Inmates are Running the Asylum