Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by da...@neosur.com on 2006/03/17 23:16:35 UTC

ITC: Contribution of java.rmi

  As announced before we are contributing java.rmi package on behalf of ITC
(Cordoba Institute of Technology).

Below is a short description of the contribution.

Daniel Gandara

Package name  java.rmi

Package Description

 Clean room implementation of java.rmi following J2SE 1.5 spec
 www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/index.html

Current Status
 Currently our package contains implementation for:
 - java.rmi
 - java.rmi.dgc
 - java.rmi.registry
 - java.rmi.server

 package java.rmi.activation and deprecated method/classes
have not been implemented. Activation have been designed but
has not been implemented yet.

 Tools like rmic and rmiregistry have not been implemented.

Architectural Design
 Package has been architected following a layered design, which
seem to be the most appropriate model for the RMI implementation
in accordance with the specification.
 For further details check www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/architecture.html

Javadoc

Javadoc of the package can be reached here
www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/javadocRMI/index.html

Testing
  Unit and integration tests (and their documentation) are
provided with the code.

Implementation Notes
 The code uses J2SE 5.0 features, such as generics, so it
requires 5.0 VM and libraries (i.e.: java.util.concurrent).
It has been tested against Sun SDK, removing the original
java.rmi.* and replacing it by ours.
www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/ideas_uro.html

Known Issues
www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/knownissues.html

Specification Issues
www.fitc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/specissues.html

Re: ITC: Contribution of java.rmi

Posted by Daniel Gandara <da...@neosur.com>.
FaeLLe wrote
>Yes i figured it was Birelli's reference counting algorithm.

yes, remember that we followed Sun's spec, and it says on section 3.3:
"RMI uses a referencecounting garbage collection algorithm similar to
Modula-3's Network Objects.  (See "Network Objects" by Birrell, Nelson,
and Owicki)"

>Our university research group has currently identified faults with that
>speific algorithm and I am working on an implementation of the revised
>version.

yes, we are aware of some of the faults, like creating a circular reference.
BTW: Sun's implementation has the same problem.

>However I was wondering if you could point me towards some
>literature/material that discusses these specific features that are imposed
>by RMI's dgc api spec ? These would be very beneficial.

Unfortunatelly we did not have any document describing these specific
features;  we worked based on Birrel algorithm and we implemented the
API, while doing that we found some non-solved issues, and we created
our own solution for them.
What we did document were some issues we found on the spec.
(follow this links for further info:
http://www.itc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/knownissues.html#10
http://www.itc.unc.edu.ar/javadev/rmi/specissues.html#8 )

Daniel

--
www.FaeLLe.com
www.VikramMohan.com

Re: ITC: Contribution of java.rmi

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Yes i figured it was Birelli's reference counting algorithm.

Our university research group has currently identified faults with that
speific algorithm and I am working on an implementation of the revised
version.

However I was wondering if you could point me towards some
literature/material that discusses these specific features that are imposed
by RMI's dgc api spec ? These would be very beneficial.

Thanks,

- Vikram

--
www.FaeLLe.com