Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> on 2010/10/28 08:30:41 UTC

Web Site update 20101028

Hi Everybody,

It would be great if you could review the following:

http://james.apache.org
- Home: less bullet, vertical layout, mention of hupa project
- Releases: mention of maven repos for missing projects

http://james.apache.org/server/
- Home: less bullet, vertical layout, feature matrix update (-> would
put it in a tabbed layout with jquery javascript framework to lighten
the content, also add some tabs such as video,... a bit like
http://cassandra.apache.org)
- some links to server 2.x to archive

http://james.apache.org/server/3/
- All 3 releases would go to /server/3 directory
- Home: more user-oriented with key characteristics and images
- Menu review: Overview, Features, User Manual, Developers Corner
- Some pages are ok, some are empty, some need to be
reviewed/corrected/revamped.

http://james.apache.org/imap
http://james.apache.org/protocols
- No more broken links

http://james.apache.org/mailbox
(forgot to update it, don't look at it now)

Also top and left menu updated for all the above sites.

Waiting your comments

Tks,

Eric

Re: Web Site update 20101028

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
very impressive indeed.

Kind Regards... Dhrubo

Re: Web Site update 20101028

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2010/10/28 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> It would be great if you could review the following:
>
> http://james.apache.org
> - Home: less bullet, vertical layout, mention of hupa project
> - Releases: mention of maven repos for missing projects

I was on my NetBook and it isn't readable at all. I think the news box
should be smaller and the 2 columns should take the whole width in
order to be readable. Otherwise a minimum-width should be added in
order to avoid 100px columns with unreadable text.

> http://james.apache.org/server/
> - Home: less bullet, vertical layout, feature matrix update (-> would put it
> in a tabbed layout with jquery javascript framework to lighten the content,
> also add some tabs such as video,... a bit like http://cassandra.apache.org)
> - some links to server 2.x to archive

Really good!
I see "Alternate mail stores" twice

> http://james.apache.org/server/3/
> - All 3 releases would go to /server/3 directory
> - Home: more user-oriented with key characteristics and images
> - Menu review: Overview, Features, User Manual, Developers Corner
> - Some pages are ok, some are empty, some need to be
> reviewed/corrected/revamped.

This is really too large.
The content is very good.

Stefano

Re: Web Site update 20101028

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
OK, server V2 link is repaired (v2 website still needs to be regenerated
with new skin menus)

googling a bit:
http://www.stayonsearch.com/optimal-screen-resolution-for-web-design-2010-update

I would target 1280x1024 (easy to change with firefox web developer plugin)

With that resolution
- http://james.apache.org/server/index.html needs tabs in the content
(a-la-jquery)
- some images of http://james.apache.org/server/3/index.html needs to be
a bit less large, but we could keep the 2 columns layout.

Once M1 voted, uploaded and cgi adapter, i will add the evident buttons
for early-adopters download.

Tks,

Eric

Re: Web Site update 20101028

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim,

I just realize i work on a 1920 resolution...
I didn't find any directive on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs for the resolution to be
supported
Should we target 1024 ? If such, I guess I have to go to one column
tables rather to to 2. This would loose a bit of impact, especially for
the main home page.

Server V2 link will be repaired within 1 hour (time to rsynch)

I can add a kind of button on http://james.apache.org/server/index.html
and http://james.apache.org/server/3/index.html to download milestone 1.

Re: Web Site update 20101028

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Tim,

we will add the milestone download to download.cgi once the VOTE as
passed, which should be this weekend.

Bye,
Norman

Re: Web Site update 20101028