Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2006/01/23 14:30:57 UTC

[VOTE] KabukiProposal

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KabukiProposal

Contents of proposal reproduced below:

## page was renamed from AjaxProposal
= Kabuki, an AJAX Toolkit Proposal =

== 0. Rationale ==

While the term AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) has only recently
been coined, the underlying web standards and technologies (JavaScript
a.k.a. ECMAScript, DOM, XML, SOAP, and so on) have been around for
years. Although the term is used in a variety of ways, AJAX typically
describes techniques towards developing interactive applications on the
web client including asynchronous messaging, use of XML grammar in
client-side applications, incremental page updates, and improved user
interface controls. AJAX applications combine the rich UI experience of
programmed clients with the low-cost lifecycle management of web-based
applications.

AJAX has raised awareness of the high potential of web applications, it
has encouraged companies to adopt rich web-based interfaces over
traditional "fat" clients, and it has spawned development activity to
create toolkits and abstractions to make AJAX-style development easier
and more powerful. This is an important trend for open source. The
client itself can be composed entirely of open-source parts, such as
Mozilla's Firefox or KDE's Konqueror, and does not require any
particular operating system, helping to make a more level playing field
for all development. More importantly, AJAX is back-end agnostic as
transactions are done over HTTP. Keeping the client open forces vendors
to keep the communication channel open as well, and this can only
continue as long as the client technology keeps pace with proprietary
alternatives. The open, standards based communications channel is what
drives many technologies inside Apache, so success of the open client is
vital to Apache. The mission of this project is to encourage innovation
around enterprise-strength client runtimes and tools and build a
community which can select and nurture a select set which will be most
beneficial to the web.

== 0.1 Criteria ==

=== Meritocracy: ===

Apache was chosen for an incubator primarily because of the guidance the
community can provide.

=== Community: ===

The contributed work was inspired by open source development but needs a
strong and diverse community to validate its mission and carry it
forward. A primary objective of the project is to build a vibrant
community of users and active contributors.

=== Core Developers: ===

All of the initial committers are members of the Zimbra development
teams. All developers have worked on open source projects before and
have experience and understanding of open source principles.

=== Alignment: ===

The Zimbra AJAX Development Toolkit provides a rich client library,
similar in style to traditional object-oriented widget libraries like
Eclipse's SWT. This toolkit hides implementation details and browser
quirks and makes web development more accessible to the enterprise
developer. It provides

  * User interface development
  * Network communications (both synchronous and asynchronous)
  * SOAP programming
  * XML document creation and manipulation
  * UI event handling and management

For further information, please see the Zimbra AjaxTK whitepaper:
http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20AJAX%20TK%20Whitepaper.pdf

The intial proposal also contained Eclipse tooling for the Kabuki
components, this part of the original proposal is currently a proposed
project at http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/atf/.

== 0.2 Warning signs ==

=== Orphaned products: ===

The initial committers are users of this toolkit and have a long-term
interest in use and maintenance of the code.

=== Inexperience with open source: ===

Several of the commiters are very experienced in Open Source
environment. All efforts will be made to ensure that the work done and
momentum will be in strict adherence to open source guidelines.

=== Homogenous developers: ===

As noted above, the initial list of developers consists primarily of
paid employees of the donating company.

The current list of committers includes developers who are experienced
with working in a distributed environment, and with resolving technical
differences.

=== Reliance on salaried developers: ===

The initial set of committers are salaried developers. Through the
incubation process, more diversity will hopefully be achieved in many
aspects, including reliance on salaried developers.

=== No ties to other Apache products: ===

The initial codebase will be licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
While there are no direct build dependencies on other Apache projects,
the development of AJAX clients will often be driven by Apache
middleware and will have a positive impact on the open source movement
as described in the "Rationale" section.

=== A fascination with the Apache brand: ===

The committers are intent on developing a strong open source community.
  We believe that the Apache Software Foundation's emphasis on community
development makes it the most suitable choice.

== 1. Scope of the subprojects ==

The initial scope of the project will include client-side widgets and
other utilities from the Zimbra AjaxTK, as described in 0.1. In
addition, the Kabuki project will also include server-side
infrastructure to facilitate the AJAX programming model.  Such
server-side components may include resource aggregation and delivery,
user authorization, application event notification, etc. Since XML is
used for communication and HTTP is used as the transport, the
client-side toolkit is not tied to any particular programming language.

== 2. Identify the initial source from which the subprojects are to be
populated ==

The Zimbra AjaxTK is available today in open source, and can be
downloaded at http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.php (See Zimbra
Ajax Toolkit Download).  (A snapshot of the AJAX toolkit code is also
available via http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ajax/Ajax.tar.gz)

== 2.1 External Dependencies of the project ==

None.

== 3. Identify the ASF resources to be created ==

== 3.1 mailing list(s) ==

  * kabuki-ppmc
  * kabuki-dev
  * kabuki-commits
  * kabuki-user

== 3.2 Subversion repository ==

  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kabuki

== 3.3 Bugzilla ==

  * KABUKI

== 4. Identify the initial set of committers: ==

  * Andy Clark (Zimbra)
  * Conrad Damon (Zimbra)
  * Ross Dargahi (Zimbra)
  * Roland Schemers (Zimbra)
  * Parag Shah (Zimbra)
  * Greg Solovyev (Zimbra)
  * Martin Marinschek

== 5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual ==

We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the Kabuki AJAX Toolkit
Framework as an incubating project, with the eventual goal of graduation
as a TLP. The initial contributors feel the scope of the project doesn't
clearly overlap with any existing TLP, and is broad enough to justify
eventual TLP status.

Champion: Sam Ruby

Mentors:
  * Andy Clark (Zimbra)
  * Paul Freemantle (WSO2)
  * Sam Ruby (IBM)
  * Sanjiva Weerawarana (WSO2)

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] KabukiProposal - PASSED

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I realize this is late, but I've been momentarily buried, and because I
had also asked that Sam restart the vote, I'd like to symbolically add
my +1 to the proposal.

geir

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I had voted +1 numerous times :)

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KabukiProposal
>
> Contents of proposal reproduced below:

<snip />

-0,9

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 24.01.2006, at 10:39, Steven Noels wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2006, at 14:30, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> In addition, the Kabuki project will also include server-side
>> infrastructure to facilitate the AJAX programming model.
>
> In the current download (http://www.zimbra.com/community/
> ajaxtk_download.html), all samples are designed to be shown only in
> the context of a JSP-enabled servlet container, even though the
> samples don't require one per se.

This is one of the reasons why I'm personally reluctant to get
involved more deeply at this point in time (e.g. as a committer). It
just smells too Java-specific for me at the moment and since I don't
have the time to change that I'll just keep watching for now...

OTOH this is certainly not a valid argument against incubation and
since I raised a -1 on the last proposal I'd like to express a +1
this time; the latest, substantially changed revision removed my
concerns.

Cheers,
Erik

(I know the vote passed already, just for the record, I'm always
late...)

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 23 Jan 2006, at 14:30, Sam Ruby wrote:

> == 1. Scope of the subprojects ==
>
> The initial scope of the project will include client-side widgets and
> other utilities from the Zimbra AjaxTK, as described in 0.1.

OK.

> In addition, the Kabuki project will also include server-side
> infrastructure to facilitate the AJAX programming model.

In the current download
(http://www.zimbra.com/community/ajaxtk_download.html), all samples are
designed to be shown only in the context of a JSP-enabled servlet
container, even though the samples don't require one per se.

> Such server-side components may include resource aggregation and
> delivery, user authorization, application event notification, etc.
> Since XML is used for communication and HTTP is used as the transport,
> the client-side toolkit is not tied to any particular programming
> language.

Why then the reliance on JSP for the delivery of the samples? IMHO,
that somehow rises (if only slightly) the barrier for people exploring
the actual donation. And from the description of the scope, I
understand the idea is to make sure the Ajax client library and widgets
are independent from any server-side runtime execution context.

</Steven>
Outerthought                              Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 1/23/06, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> = Kabuki, an AJAX Toolkit Proposal =

+1.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] KabukiProposal

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 08:30 -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KabukiProposal
>
> Contents of proposal reproduced below:

+1.

Sanjiva.