Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2001/02/07 14:42:39 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/jasper/src/share/org/apache/jasper CommandLineContext.java

Mel Martinez wrote:

> --- Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> wrote:
>
> > There is no need for all this complexity to generate
> > a package name
> > in the new Jasper.
>
> Hmmm... compared to the gobbledy-gook that was being
> done before, I'd hardly call what I did complex.
> Aside from options, all it does is very simply asign
> the JSP page a package name based on it's directory
> hierarchy and place the .java and .class files in same
> - this is consistant with strict java naming
> convention.
>
>  The way jasper now loads jsp
> > pages, each page is
> > completely isolated from all other pages.  Every jsp
> > page compiled
> > could be a class named "org.apache.jsp.MyJSP"
> > without
> > any concern whatsoever about conflicts because each
> > individual page
> > has its own class loader.
>
> Ah, I see, you avoid file-level conflicts by placing
> the generated code into separate directory paths, even
> though the package names (currently) do not reflect
> the directory locations.  Yup, that should work,
> although i wouldn't say it is any less complex and I
> don't think it is consistent with standard java
> package/directory naming conventions.
>
> > The new jasper makes it very easy to find and view
> > the java source for
> > a translated jsp page, it is located in
> > work/somehost/someapp/some/context/path/MyJSP.java.
> >

> Does it not seem logical to assign a package to the
> MyJSP class based on all or part of the above path?
>
> This may seem like esthetics, I suppose.  Not
> something we should get stressed about.
>
> What you've done is a great improvement over what was
> there.  Does it work with tc 3.3?

It should work for tc 3.x, but I don't have the time to
back port it.

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-4.0/jasper/src/share/org/apache/jasper CommandLineContext.java

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
> > > The new jasper makes it very easy to find and view
> > > the java source for
> > > a translated jsp page, it is located in
> > > work/somehost/someapp/some/context/path/MyJSP.java.
> > >

> > Does it not seem logical to assign a package to the
> > MyJSP class based on all or part of the above path?
> >
> > This may seem like esthetics, I suppose.  Not
> > something we should get stressed about.
> >
> > What you've done is a great improvement over what was
> > there.  Does it work with tc 3.3?
> >

> It should work for tc 3.x, but I don't have the time to
> back port it.

Well, it works in tomcat 3.x for some time ( too long ago to remember,
it's part of the original JspInterceptor :-)

The scheme is slightly different, but the ideea is the
same ( using simpler and predictible names for the
generated classes ).

--
Costin