Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by boday <bo...@vektrel.com> on 2009/06/23 01:56:58 UTC

"Failed to rename..." message when redeploying SA

I'm using SMX 3.3 and periodically see this error after I drop a new SA JAR
file in the /hotdeploy directory...

I have tried the following...

-restarting the SMX server
-stopping the SMX server, deleting the /data directory and starting the SMX
server
-deleting the SA JAR file from the /hotdeploy directory and copying it back
in

The issue seems to go away after several attempts using the above
approaches, but I'm frustrated that it keeps coming back.  This makes me
concerned about the viability of hot deploying SAs into a production
environment w/o the risk of needing to restart the SMX server each time,
etc.

Any help would be much appreciated...

ERROR - AutoDeploymentService          - Failed to update Service Assembly:
message-processor-sa
java.lang.Exception: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jbi-task xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/jbi/management-message"
version="1.0">
<jbi-task-result>
<frmwk-task-result>
<frmwk-task-result-details>
<task-result-details>
<task-id>deploy</task-id>
<task-result>FAILED</task-result>
<message-type>ERROR</message-type>
<task-status-msg>
<msg-loc-info>
<loc-token/>
<loc-message>Failed to rename
C:\java\ServiceMix\apache-servicemix-3.3\data\smx\tmp\message-processor-sa-1.0-SNAPSHOT.0.tmp
to C:\java\ServiceMix\apac
he-servicemix-3.3\data\smx\service-assemblies\message-processor-sa\version_1\install</loc-message>
</msg-loc-info>
</task-status-msg>
</task-result-details>
</frmwk-task-result-details>
</frmwk-task-result>
</jbi-task-result>
</jbi-task>

        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.ManagementSupport.failure(ManagementSupport.java:125)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.ManagementSupport.failure(ManagementSupport.java:107)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.DeploymentService.deployServiceAssembly(DeploymentService.java:467)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.updateServiceAssembly(AutoDeploymentService.java:353)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.updateArchive(AutoDeploymentService.java:256)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.monitorDirectory(AutoDeploymentService.java:667)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.access$800(AutoDeploymentService.java:62)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService$1.run(AutoDeploymentService.java:631)
WARN  - AutoDeploymentService          - Directory: hotdeploy: Automatic
install of
C:\java\ServiceMix\apache-servicemix-3.3\hotdeploy\message-process
or-sa-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar failed
javax.jbi.management.DeploymentException: Failed to update Service Assembly:
message-processor-sa
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.updateServiceAssembly(AutoDeploymentService.java:368)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.updateArchive(AutoDeploymentService.java:256)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.monitorDirectory(AutoDeploymentService.java:667)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService.access$800(AutoDeploymentService.java:62)
        at
org.apache.servicemix.jbi.framework.AutoDeploymentService$1.run(AutoDeploymentService.java:631)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
[...]

        ... 6 more

Re: "Failed to rename..." message when redeploying SA

Posted by boday <bo...@vektrel.com>.
UPDATE...

I upgraded to SMX 3.3.1 today and haven't seen this issue all day.  I had
been seeing it several times a day with 3.3.  I'm not sure if it is gone
entirely, but it seems to be working much better...

Re: "Failed to rename..." message when redeploying SA

Posted by boday <bo...@vektrel.com>.
-this is on a windows box
-I have redeploying after deleting the /data directory, but only after the
issue occurs
-haven't checked JMX, I'll do so the next time it happens
-I do have Norton on my machine, I'll disable it and see if that
helps...make I can setup a rule to exclude this directory or something

Questions...

Iis it safer to just delete the existing JAR file from the /hotdeploy
directory before deploying a new JAR file?

Is there any type of a web-based console that can show the status of
deployments and let you bring them up/down (other than JMX console).

We'll be using FUSE 3.4 at some point in the near future, will this process
be any different in that environment?

thanks again....

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

We sometimes get this as a warning when undeploying a sa when a class
is still loaded and the files can not be moved.  However, this looks
like it happens on deployment, i.e. the files in the temporary
directory can not be moved into their final destination.  Does this
only happen upon redeployment or also when you're deploying to a clean
ESB instance (e.g. after you deleted the data directory)?  Are there
any subsequent/preceding messages in the log that can help us figure
out what's going wrong?  Could you try looking into the ESB using JMX
after a failed deployment and check if all endpoints have been removed
and if the SA is no longer mentioned in the console?

Also, as this is on Windows, could you try disabling the virus scanner
for a moment while you (re)deploy your SA?  I vaguely recall a problem
with virus scanners keeping a lock on the file, preventing it from
being moved.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com