Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Oftenwrong Soong <of...@yahoo.com> on 2011/01/18 00:22:16 UTC

Broken URLs in Subversion README files

Hi all,

Not sure if this is considered a bug that needs reporting...

Many of the README files contained within Subversion's source distribution
contain references to the old http://subversion.tigris.org/ URLs. For example,
tools/README happily says that information about the scripts in that directory
can be found at:

http://subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html

but this URL is broken. Substituting apache.org for tigris.org produces a 404
error.

I hope the documents that were once hosted at tigris.org are not lost forever!

Soong

Re: Broken URLs in Subversion README files

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elego.de>.
On 2011-01-18 00:22, Oftenwrong Soong wrote:
> Not sure if this is considered a bug that needs reporting...
>
> Many of the README files contained within Subversion's source distribution
> contain references to the old http://subversion.tigris.org/ URLs. For example,
> tools/README happily says that information about the scripts in that directory
> can be found at:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html
>
> but this URL is broken. Substituting apache.org for tigris.org produces a 404
> error.

The "contrib" section of the Subversion repository and the related
documentation is no longer actively maintained by the Apache Subversion
team.

> I hope the documents that were once hosted at tigris.org are not lost forever!

Well, there's always the Wayback Machine...

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

http://web.archive.org/web/20080822082136/http://subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html

Then again, there's always the history in the Subversion repository itself:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/branches/1.5.x/www/tools_contrib.html?view=co

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de

Re: Broken URLs in Subversion README files

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Oftenwrong Soong wrote on Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 15:22:16 -0800:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this is considered a bug that needs reporting...
>
> Many of the README files contained within Subversion's source distribution
> contain references to the old http://subversion.tigris.org/ URLs. For example,

What version?

This is fixed on trunk, and I suppose it's also fixed in recent (last
year's) 1.6.x releases too.

If you see broken URLs in 1.6.15 or trunk, please let us know (on dev@)
and we'll fix them.