Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jack Ivey <iv...@altair.com> on 2004/02/17 14:12:19 UTC

Modifications to moved files

Hi all,
I have a pretty basic question.  If developer B moves a file
that developer A has made local modifications to, how does
developer A recover?

If he tries to update he gets the error:
"Won't delete locally modified file 'asdf.txt'"

If he tries to commit he gets the complaint:
"Commit failed
File not found: transaction '1c', path '/movetest/originalfolder/asdf.txt'"

You could rename the modified file(s), update, poke around
the workspace or log to find the new location then manually merge
and commit the changes.  Is this the best way?

Thanks,
Jack

Re: Modifications to moved files

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:12:19 -0500
Jack Ivey <iv...@altair.com> wrote:

> You could rename the modified file(s), update, poke around
> the workspace or log to find the new location then manually merge
> and commit the changes.  Is this the best way?

More or less. You can do:

svn diff asdf.txt > asdf.txt.diff
svn revert asdf.txt
svn update
patch asdf-new.txt < asdf.txt.diff    # or equivalent
svn commit asdf-new.txt -m "Gotcha!"

                                                                Juanma