Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2015/11/03 17:10:44 UTC

Re: Finishing release policy codification

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 14, 2015, at 5:08 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

>>> Hello... Just sending a gentle reminder that this proposal is pending.
>>>

>> Sorry... On the top of my TODO :)
>
> Hello again... Just sending another gentle reminder that this proposal remains
> pending.

Hi, sending another gentle reminder about this proposal.  Thank you
for considering it.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Finishing release policy codification

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Great to see this getting done. First change
that I'd like to propose to the document though
is to add a section talking about SCM tag
archiving mechanics that were recently
discussed.

Makes sense? Or does it belong elsewhere?

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Woot!

> At last month's board meeting I specifically noted:
>
>     Of primary importance is that I am
>    letting the board know that post-meeting, my plan is to officially
>    accept the draft release policy (https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.apache.org%2fdev%2frelease-draft.html&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7ceb031601840a44831b9808d2ff657faf%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=wD90Jb4Trt2n6IstJQIQ60%2f4F33dwz9x3ZLy0hYeVMs%3d).
>    I also anticipate increased legal activity around the proposed
>    version control policy as well.
>
> My plan was to wait until the minutes were approved to officially
> announce, but Yes, the are, in fact, as noted, Approved.

Thank you for considering and now approving the proposal, Jim!

I didn't mean to rush the unveiling, but now that it's done, I've already put the new, clarified policy text to work in a reply on general@incubator.

It feels good to put this one behind us.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Finishing release policy codification

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:

>>> Sorry... On the top of my TODO :)
>>
>> Hello again... Just sending another gentle reminder that this proposal
>> remains pending.
>
> Hi, sending another gentle reminder about this proposal.  Thank you for
> considering it.

Greetings,

The final form of this proposal has now been queued up for review by VP Legal
for two and a half months.  I'm well aware of how busy our VP Legal has been
-- and with all the travel and the keynoting, plus the holidays approaching,
I'm not sure whether things are going to get much clearer any time soon.  And
so, with regards to getting this proposal reviewed, the strategy that we
ordinarily recommend at Apache of being patient but persistent in waiting for
volunteer help does not seem to be working very well.

Would it be appropriate to have the Legal Affairs Committee vote on whether to
approve this proposal instead of blocking on VP Legal?

Also, should this proposal be approved, I plan to submit a series of patches
via Jira to the Release FAQ.  I'm not on Legal Affairs, though.  As an ASF
Member, do I have permissions to edit the website (which I would of course
exercise judiciously and only after establishing that it's OK to do so), or
will I need to wait on a Legal Affairs committee member to apply changes?

Marvin Humphrey