Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ioannis Cherouvim <jc...@eworx.gr> on 2008/03/12 16:50:47 UTC

cannot delete cfs files on windows

Hello

I can index many times and delete the index files (manually). But if I
search once, then the cfs file is locked and cannot be deleted.
Subsequent indexings create new cfs files. Even if I undeploy the tomcat
web application which holds the search code, the cfs file cannot be deleted.

O/S:
Windows XP

Code to index:
IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(
    PATH,
    new StandardAnalyzer(),
    true);

writer.addDocument(doc1);
writer.addDocument(doc2);
writer.addDocument(doc3);

writer.optimize();
writer.close();

Code to search:
Searcher searcher = null;
IndexReader indexReader = null;
try {
    indexReader = IndexReader.open(PATH);
    searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexReader);
    Hits hits = searcher.search(query);
} finally {
    searcher.close();
    indexReader.close();
}

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
Ioannis

Re: cannot delete cfs files on windows

Posted by Ioannis Cherouvim <jc...@eworx.gr>.
Hello

I index once every 24h. If a single search takes place between those
24hours, the next indexing will generate a new cfs file, because the old
one cannot be deleted.

Yes, I've read in the API that it's best not to open and close an
IndexReader for every search, but right now I'm not concerned with
performance (unless there is another problem with opening and closing).
In any case, how should I deal with it? Will a singleton holding the
IndexReader do the job? This is a web application.

Note that I'm not concerned about the actual files not being able to be
deleted, nor the extra HD space that these occupy. I'm afraid that all
these "locked" cfs files hold file handles which is not good for the O/S
(?).

Right now I can only delete those cfs files when I stop the tomcat
instance which runs my web application.

thanks,
Ioannis

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.