Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2009/07/23 01:44:41 UTC

Problems with mod_mbox

Hey,

I just sent the following email to the CouchDB developer list:

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200907.mbox/<20...@tumbolia.org>

Preparing these emails is such a chore, I thought I'd post some comments here:

  * The URIs are really horrible.

    Is there any way of shortening them?

    Perhaps a shorter MID based URI would help, like:

      http://mail-archives.apache.org/mid/20090722214200.GA11737@tumbolia.org

    That would make things much more managable via email.

  * With the following list:

      http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200907.mbox/browser

    If you click to open in a new tab, you get this:

      http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200907.mbox/ajax/<92...@mail.gmail.com>

    Which is just awful, really.

  * As I am forced to not use this feature of my UA, if I just click a link in
    the normal way, I am taken to some two-pane display. I would provide a link
    here, but I can't because of the way "Ajax" has been used.

    A bigger concern is that if I press my browsers back button, I am taken back
    to front page of the list, which is totally broken. I know there's a "click
    here to get a permalink" hack, but that's not very useful as I'm trying to
    browse around and my back button has been broken.

Sorry if I seem like a total arse, I'm just feeling a frustrated! Heh.

Is this project being actively maintained? The last news item was from 2005. If
the project is dead, maybe the ASF should consider ditching it's use for our
mailing lists. It's a royal pain in the arse at the moment.

Re: Problems with mod_mbox

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:48:23AM -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
> mod_mbox is open source:
>
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/>
>
> patches welcome :)

I'm kept more than busy enough with CouchDB! Heh.

> The Infra team isn't aware of a good alternative, but sure, if there
> was one, we would consider using it.

Well, the W3C use hypermail:

  http://www.hypermail-project.org/

And it weems to work well enough for them:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2009Jul/0137

Is there a list I should address this suggestion to?

> I wouldn't call it 'dead', but sure, mostly unmaintained. It needs
> some loving, especially on the user interface.

Does the ASF have any way of promoting jobs like this? There may be someone with
a chunk of spare time to improve this software. And we already missed this
year's Google Summer of Code.

Best,

Re: Problems with mod_mbox

Posted by Paul Querna <pa...@querna.org>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Noah Slater<ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I just sent the following email to the CouchDB developer list:
>
>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-dev/200907.mbox/<20...@tumbolia.org>
>
> Preparing these emails is such a chore, I thought I'd post some comments here:
>
>  * The URIs are really horrible.
>  * With the following list:
>  * As I am forced to not use this feature of my UA, if I just click a link in
> Sorry if I seem like a total arse, I'm just feeling a frustrated! Heh.
>
> Is this project being actively maintained? The last news item was from 2005. If
> the project is dead, maybe the ASF should consider ditching it's use for our
> mailing lists. It's a royal pain in the arse at the moment.

mod_mbox is open source:

<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/mod_mbox/trunk/>

patches welcome :)

The Infra team isn't aware of a good alternative, but sure, if there
was one, we would consider using it.

I wouldn't call it 'dead', but sure, mostly unmaintained. It needs
some loving, especially on the user interface.

Thanks,

Paul