Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Dragos Buleandra <dr...@trade2b.ro> on 2004/02/24 09:18:27 UTC

HSSF contributions

Hi ,

    My name is Dragos Buleandra . I'm a Romanian developer and I work for a German software company ( www.trade2b.com ).
    In our currently project, in the past 2-3 month ,  I'm in charge with exporting/importing data to/from Excel files .
    Because we were looking for Java Open source solutions , I searched on Internet and I found Jakarta Apache Poi project .
    I forgot to say that I'm a Java developer , with 4 years experience in this beautiful programming language .
    By working with POI and because the clients needed features unsupported by POI , I started to add new features into this library :

           1) - I fully implemented the entire "Data validation" Excel's mechanism - by implementing DV and DVAL records ( documented into
                  OpenOffice.org Excel's documentation ) . Of course , I created a method for easily usage of this mechanism .
                 All features available in Excel regarding this mechanism are supported ( Lists ..... , prompt and error boxes and so on ) .
           2) - Fixed a bug occurred when cloning sheets which contains "Autofiltering"
           3) - Add 3 methods for easily group/outline rows in a sheet ( grouping/outlining columns is my current task , but in 2 days will be finished ) .
                 By implementing these methods , I fixed a bug into "WSBool" record , where fields "field_1_wsbool" and "field_2_wsbool" where filled/serialized
                 in the wrong order .
           4) - I also implemented a way to insert images ( in .bmp format ) . This feature use IMDATA and OBJ records . I found this solution into a Perl module ,
                  without having a documentation for this two Excel records , that's why I don't intend to post this patch .

     I saw on your forum that many people are expecting  Data validation" Excel's mechanism , in order to be able to generate Lists in Excel .
     If no one solved this problem , I'll be glad to do it myself .
     I'll be very happy if you can give me an answer ! After I'll finish to implement the methods required by grouping/outlining columns I want
    to post all my patches , that's why I need  to know if they aren't already implemented .

     Anyway , POI is a very nice project and very well written from the beginning . Congratulations !
     I'll be happy to become a contributor to this project !

Regards ,
    Dragos

Re: HSSF contributions

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Hi Dragos,

Welcome.  We look forward to working with you.  Please be sure to write unit
tests for everything.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.