Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aaron <aa...@pop.actcom.net.il> on 2005/01/26 00:18:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Fwd: apache2 orientation

Hi all,
Iam new to thelist.

My question is for starters one of orientation.

I have read the docs for apache2 and can't find a system overview.  I
see docs on starting and stopping and on each element for
configuration. But I need some sort of map and explaination of
generally what the elements are for setting up and
configuring/tweaking apache2.

The documentation describes nicely the various parts but I am getting
lost because I see the trees but not the forest.

As per specific problems I will post another email.

Thanks
Aaron

Re: [users@httpd] Fwd: apache2 orientation

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:18:07 +0200, Aaron <aa...@pop.actcom.net.il> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Iam new to thelist.
>
> My question is for starters one of orientation.
>
> I have read the docs for apache2 and can't find a system overview.  I
> see docs on starting and stopping and on each element for
> configuration. But I need some sort of map and explaination of
> generally what the elements are for setting up and
> configuring/tweaking apache2.
>
> The documentation describes nicely the various parts but I am getting
> lost because I see the trees but not the forest.

The page
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/configuring.html
is probably as close as you will come to an overview.  There are also
some basic tutorials suggested here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/tutorials.html
Although they are targetted towards version 1.3, you'll find most the
basic information is the same for 2.0.

If you need more background than that, I suggest checking out one of
the many dead-tree books written about apache.  They tend to start at
a much more basic level than the online docs.

Joshua.