Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by au...@gmail.com on 2009/10/21 01:31:07 UTC

[users@httpd] server side scripts + local display

Hi all,

Unsure of this is the right place for this but let me try.

So I have various scripts that run server side like so;

http://internal-http/script

The contents of those scripts runs fine.

So I run a command in my script which requires an xterm, say xeyes for
example.

While I can run xeyes from a remote login shell, when I try to run
xeyes from a script like so;

http://internal-http/xeyes-script

in the Apache error logs, I get;

Can't open display.

I'm only using xeyes as am example because it requires an xterm.  Its
on my Centos distro.

Hope some one can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] server side scripts + local display

Posted by au...@gmail.com.
Thanks Eric.

U provided a good clue.

I got it running and heres what I did incase any one needs to know.

My Xen server runs Apache and I have VNC server enabled on it as a no
priv user.

This user has, in there ,bashrc;

xhost +

In my Python script running server side via http://xen-dom-U-apache-
server/python-script.py, I have

print os.putenv('DISPLAY',':3')
print.os.system('some program that needs display to run')

Its 3 because I have VNC running on port 3 to avoid any Xen console
conflicts with dom0.

This allowed the program needing a display to work on the Apache server.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.