Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/05/29 12:27:57 UTC

Current status of Apache NetBeans donation

Hi all,

Quite a lot of problematic files have been identified in the code for the
1st donation to Apache.

These are specifically files that Oracle is unable to donate, in particular
logos that are not Oracle's to donate and files that are copyrighted such
that Oracle is unable to donate them.

Over the last weeks, work has been under way to remove those files and you
can see the work that has been done in that regard here:

http://deadlock.netbeans.org/job/prototypes-donation_review/changes

Images that Oracle is unable to donate are being replaced by greyed-out
images with the same name, so that the build will continue to succeed.

Aside from the images, a lot of the files that are not possible to donate
are data files used in tests and other test-related files. These are being
removed. This may have as a consequence that tests will fail, initially,
when the code is transferred to Apache. We will have to, all of us in
Apache, take a look at where tests fails and whether the removal of data
files has had an impact on this. In several cases, the files that were
deleted were not actually being used anywhere, they were simply historical
files, unused, that had never been deleted after they stopped being
relevant for particular scenarios.

Other files, especially binaries, that are being removed because Oracle
can't donate them may have an impact on the build succeeding. We are unable
to guarantee that the code we donate to Apache will build successfully
though obviously we're trying our best to provide a buildable unit of code.

The most important thing will be the necessity to document all these files
that have been removed so that, in several cases, we'll simply be able to
add them back once the code has been donated. After all, just because
Oracle is unable to donate code does not automatically mean that Apache is
unable to distribute that code. In several cases, we'll simply be able to
put the removed code back into the repository once we are in Apache. It
will be on a case-by-case basis.

During this week, I will be adding to the Apache NetBeans Wiki very
explicit lists of files, per cluster, that have been removed from the
donation, though via the link above it's very explicit already, in fact.
But it will be good to have one place where everything will be listed.

We're hoping that we'll have deleted the files that we won't be donating
during this week and that by the end of this week we should be ready with
the 1st code donation, consisting of a ZIP file containing the Java SE IDE
parts of NetBeans. An additional step will be the signing of the actual
code donation document for this ZIP file and then that code donation
document will be handed to Apache upon which the ZIP file will be
transferred to an Apache repository.

After that, and this has been worked on for a few weeks already, the 2nd
code donation will be started, focusing on the Java EE parts of NetBeans
IDE or, in fact, everything that is not part of the 1st code donation.

Concurrently, Jirka Kovalsky is starting up the NetCAT 9.0 program this
week, so that as soon as the code is available and we put together a binary
from that, the NetCAT testers can begin their NetCAT process.

Thanks,

Gj

History was: Current status of Apache NetBeans donation

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@oracle.com>.
On pondělí 29. května 2017 15:39:37 CEST Emilian Bold wrote:
> Since you are donating a ZIP with a specific snapshot of a subset of the
> files does that mean that all history will be lost?

No, I hope it will not get lost and your work will still be useful. We are not
the first one who needs to solve this history/historyless issue: even Linux
kernel had to do that. As such there is "git replace" which allows one to join
previous history into a repo without history.

I assume that Apache will host pristine - Apache approved repository - without
pre-Apache history. People who will be interested in doing real work will join
your repository via the "git replace" command and will be able to see why the
code looks like it does.

We did a bit of testing, but details are tbd.
-jt

Re: Current status of Apache NetBeans donation

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Since you are donating a ZIP with a specific snapshot of a subset of the
files does that mean that all history will be lost?

--emi