Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Greg Baynham <gb...@cox.net> on 2005/04/19 19:55:18 UTC

can't see a tomcat installation on home network

I've installed Tomcat on a Linux fedora box but am unable to access it from
a windows xp home edition box.  I've found the IP address for the Linux box
but when I type that in with the :8080 at the end of the address on the XP
box it eventually returns that the connection was refused.

is there something more I have to do to the tomcat installation to make it
visible to other machines?

thanks in advance

grb

Re: can't see a tomcat installation on home network

Posted by Greg Baynham <gb...@cox.net>.
I do not see iptables running under either my acount or root.

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Is iptables running?

Posted by Bill Sutton <bi...@ozewebhost.com>.
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes I have read the pros & cons and I would
prefer not to use the invoker but the work in updating many webapps each
time a servlet changes is daunting, particularly using Plesk.

Bill

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
Please post a *new* message when writing to the list.  Replying to
an old (unrelated) message confuses thread-aware mailers, which makes
your question harder to find (and thus answer).

Posted by Bill Sutton <bi...@ozewebhost.com>.
I am moving from jserv to tomcat.

I have 100+ servlets and classes that I want to be available to up to 100
virtual hosts. The server I am moving to runs RHE3 with Apache2, Plesk and
Tomcat4. Plesk only supports the mod_webapp connector. I can't find much
info on mod_webapp but it seems to me that each virtual host must have its
own webapps deployed.

So I have tried to put all the classes into /var/tomcat4/shared/classes.
In each host, I deploy a servlets.war file that contains only the following
WEB-INF/web.xml file -
    <!DOCTYPE web-app
    <web-app>
        <display-name>Glogal servlets</display-name>
        <description>
          Global servlets.
        </description>
        <servlet-mapping>
            <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
            <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
    </web-app>

This is working on the few hosts I tried so far. I can link to a servlet
using http://a-host.com/servlets/MyServlet.

Questions
Is there a better way to do this ?
Will tomcat be using hugely more memory than jserv was ?
Should I abandon Plesk, use Cpanel and configure apache/tomcat manually (but
I don't want to have to ssh in and configure each new host manually) ?

Thanks
Bill

Re: can't see a tomcat installation on home network

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
Nikola Milutinovic wrote:

> Try SSH, instead of Telnet. Download PuTTY and install it.

Sheesh, no, don't confuse the issue.

This is not about the OP trying to open a shell on a remote system,
it's about *using telnet* as a command-line tool to try to connect
to an arbitrary remote port -- in this case port 8080, (hopefully)
opened by Tomcat. SSH isn't part of this picture.

FWIW!

                           dream.  code.

Re: can't see a tomcat installation on home network

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Greg Baynham wrote:

>I can ping to the Linux box, but not telnet.

Nowdays NOBODY enables Telnet, unless they are totally sure the network
is safe. And with the presence of freeware SSH clients, like OpenSSH on
Linux and PuTTY on Windows, nobody has to run Telnet, even on safe networks.

Try SSH, instead of Telnet. Download PuTTY and install it.

Nix.

Re: can't see a tomcat installation on home network

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/05, Greg Baynham <gb...@cox.net> wrote:
> I've installed Tomcat on a Linux fedora box but am unable to access it from
> a windows xp home edition box.  I've found the IP address for the Linux box
> but when I type that in with the :8080 at the end of the address on the XP
> box it eventually returns that the connection was refused.

So are you trying http://192.168.2.188:8080 including the http:// part
in Internet Explorer?

Although if telnet isn't working that would seem to indicate another
problem most likely with a firewall setting somewhere.

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com